StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

I just got a blu ray drive - movie suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:37 am   Post subject: I just got a blu ray drive - movie suggestions? Reply with quote

Hi guys!! I just got a blue ray drive for my pc and am looking forward to hi-def movie bliss. What would be your suggestion to start off on a good movie that makes use of the hi-def, etc?
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

All Star Trek Movies of course ^^
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it won't be too original coming from me, but one of the movies that strike me the most on blu-ray is Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea.

No spectacular effects, no big explosions, no 3D sound, but beautiful handmade animation that really renders well in hi-def.
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

No Blu-Ray collection could be complete without James Cameron's Aliens. I'm not sure if it's available yet, but if not, then it should be.

And all Star Wars movies of course.

Mr. Green
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 30865

pilo876 is offline View user's profile Send private message pilo876's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Tron Legacy. 3D if you have the kit to enjoy it.
Canada robert32
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 30892

robert32 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website robert32's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you Resident Evil: Afterlife 3d.
Netherlands Ghostkeeper
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 27774

Ghostkeeper is offline View user's profile Send private message View Ghostkeeper's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've noticed is that the modern CG-heavy movies are usually very good on blu-ray compared to DVD. The difference is bigger than with other movies. Of course, digital renderings can be as sharp as the designers would like, not having to worry about lenses and such. It is quite noticable.

I'm talking of 2012, Prince of Persia, Tron: Legacy and Transformers. I've often seen Transformers being used by electronics stores to show off their television's sharpness and sound quality, too. Also, don't forget all those animated movies. How to Train Your Dragon for instance, or Tangled.
Of course, there's no accounting for taste, but those came out really good on blu-ray compared to DVD.

The Dark Knight as well, is rendered quite well on blu-ray, even though it's less CG. The cameras used for that movie were really good and the picture is sharp.

If you've gotten yourself a 3D-television (for a lot of money!), then I'd go with Pilo's advice. Tron: Legacy was one movie where I felt that 3D really added to the experience. A lot of nature-documentaries are quite beautiful in 3D as well.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: