StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Music industry spins falsehood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic 
EvilKitty
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 38

EvilKitty is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website EvilKitty's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:45 am   Post subject: Music industry spins falsehood Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20021023/4557245s.htm

By Janis Ian

The recording industry says downloading music from the Internet is ruining our business, destroying sales and costing artists such as me money.

Costing me money?

I don't pretend to be an expert on intellectual property law, but I do know one thing: If a record executive says he will make me more money, I'd immediately protect my wallet.

Still, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is now in federal court trying to gain new powers to personally target Internet users in lawsuits for trading music files online. In a motion filed with the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, the RIAA is demanding that an Internet service provider, Verizon, turn over the name and contact information of one of its Internet subscribers who, the RIAA claims, might have unauthorized copies of songs on a home computer.

Attacking your own customers because they want to learn more about your products is a bizarre business strategy, one the music industry cannot afford to continue. Yet the RIAA effectively destroyed Napster on such grounds, and now it is using the same crazy logic to take on Internet service providers and even privacy rights.

The RIAA's claim that the industry and artists are hurt by free downloading is nonsense. Consider my experience: I'm a recording artist who has sold multiple platinum records since the 1960s. My site, janisian.com, began offering free downloads in July. About a thousand people per day have downloaded my music, most of them people who had never heard of me and never bought my CDs.

Welcome to 'Acousticville'

On the first day I posted downloadable music, my merchandise sales tripled, and they have stayed that way ever since. I'm not about to become a zillionaire as a result, but I am making more money. At a time when radio playlists are tighter and any kind of exposure is hard to come by, 365,000 copies of my work now will be heard. Even if only 3% of those people come to concerts or buy my CDs, I've gained about 10,000 new fans this year.

That's how artists become successful: exposure. Without exposure, no one comes to shows, and no one buys CDs. After 37 years as a recording artist, when people write to tell me that they came to my concert because they downloaded a song and got curious, I am thrilled.

Who's really hurt by free downloads? The executives at major labels who twiddled their thumbs for years while company after company begged them to set up ''micropayment'' protocols and to license material for Internet-download sales.

Listen up

Many artists now benefit greatly from the free-download systems the RIAA seeks to destroy. These musicians, especially those without a major-label contract, can reach millions of new listeners with a downloadable song, enticing music fans to buy a CD or come to a concert of an artist they would have otherwise missed.

The RIAA and the entrenched music industry argue that free downloads are threats. The music industry had exactly the same response to the advent of reel-to-reel home tape recorders, cassettes, DATs, minidiscs, VCRs, music videos, MTV and a host of other products and services.

I am not advocating indiscriminate downloading without the artist's permission. Copyright protection is vital. But I do object to the industry spin that it is doing all this to protect artists. It is not protecting us; it is protecting itself.

I hope the court rejects the efforts of the music industry to assault the Internet and the music fans who use it. Speaking as an artist, I want us to work together -- industry leaders, musicians, songwriters and consumers -- to make technology work for all of us.
USA Aur
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 241

Aur is offline View user's profile Send private message View Aur's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:55 pm   Post subject: Music industry spins falsehood Reply with quote

Great article. And it's true, the record labels are afraid that the Internet will make them obsolete. And it very well might. A tech-savvy artist can market him or herself and sell music online, going right over the heads of the record companies. I'm not going to pretend to know the economics of it, but without the record companies taking their cut, I'd imagine artists could potentially make more money that way.

It's very clear that the record companies are looking out for no one but themselves.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:52 am   Post subject: Music industry spins falsehood Reply with quote

This article is so true and very well put. And you bring up a good point, Aur. I wish more artists would stand up. But I guess they're either scared or unaware.

I think another reason why the music industry is doing this is becuase it threatens their huge profits from their multi-million dollar artists. I'm sorry, but there is more talent out there than their own home-grown Britney Spears. If other artists are recognized, and many, many more, thanks to internet radio or any radio that isn't dictated by the industry, then that is a treat to their luxurorious lifestyles. It is much easier to make money off of one major "product" than a bunch of little ones.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
solkef
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 8

solkef is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail solkef's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:30 pm   Post subject: Music industry spins falsehood Reply with quote

I'm a music conceptor (for thos who don't know me alredy) and I have a little personal page on mp3.com where people can listen to my music. I'm not known... but in 4 months, I had 783 listener and 400 or so download! For a no-name, that's great! so they wont make me cry with their pretend lost.....

Guy Matte

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:00 am   Post subject: Music industry spins falsehood Reply with quote

Hey Guy, feel free to post a link to your mp3.com page.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Hart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 53

Hart is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Hart's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:52 am   Post subject: Music industry spins falsehood Reply with quote

I like to hear your music guy...what's the link?
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 8

solkef is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail solkef's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:41 am   Post subject: Music industry spins falsehood Reply with quote

Ehhhhh.... Gzzzzz... I'm blushing.... the music has been composed for a video game like final fantasy... But the project died in the same time has the conceptor died while going to usa for a meeting... (died in a car accident).
Remember that most of the songs are only there has a demo. The original would have been played on real instrement by a real orchestra....

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/406/studio_ars_nova.html

Please, tell me what you think of it.

Guy Matte (one of the few french canadian [Wink]
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: