StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Disadvantages of reality shows.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
CynusAlisa
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 31221

CynusAlisa is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website CynusAlisa's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:07 am   Post subject: Disadvantages of reality shows. Reply with quote

Hey friends,

So many reality shows I have ever seen in my whole life. I think that reality shows have so many disadvantages. What you’re thought about this. if you really think that reality shows have so many disadvantages then plz share with me

Very Happy Smile
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell and the reason is lack of experience.

As far as I remember the only reality show I really followed was the first edition of Big Brother on Polish TV and it was about 10 years ago. Since then I don't watch reality shows. In fact I don't watch TV too often at all. I don't have TV set at home (my choice and I like it this way).

BTW: Welcome to SST CynusAlisa!

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I wonder, on American television at least, if you don't watch reality, what else is there? I could get all snooty and say that I don't watch reality TV, but I have standing dates with Project Runway and Deadliest Warrior.

Of course, I am also waiting for Doctor Who and Batman: Brave and the Bold to come back.
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to Entertainment forum.
CynusAlisa
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

CynusAlisa is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website CynusAlisa's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys Suggest me some names of the reality shows you are watching now.. Smile Smile
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I already did, sorta. And I'm not sure what you mean by "disadvantages." Can you explain that?
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

We watch Survivor every season. Sometimes I hate it, sometimes it's pretty entertaining. Pretty high production values and beautiful scenery. It's also fun to see the contestants before and after - the "after" being the reunion of all contestants, their families, and the announcement of the winner 4 months or so after filming. They look so different!

It does get a little old and predictable. Most of the participants have seen many of the past shows, so they think they know the strategy and rules; however, the producers keep changing things a bit so that trips some of them up and keeps the viewers from getting too bored.

I have read many blogs and interviews of former participants to find out what it was really like. I was surprised to find out that now most of the contestants are recruited rather than chosen from applicants. You would think that when tens of thousands of people line up for interviews or send in audition tapes, there would not be a problem finding 20 people to be on the show. Not so. It takes a very special kind of person to be on Survivor - people who are interesting, incredibly physically fit, tough, in many cases drop-dead good looking in skimpy clothing, free to be away from their home/job/school for several months, and be willing to live in harsh, uncomfortable conditions, spend all day trying to find food, and be conniving or manipulated and lied to 247. Not I! Not even for a million dollars!!
Netherlands Ghostkeeper
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 27774

Ghostkeeper is offline View user's profile Send private message View Ghostkeeper's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think Fear Factor was quite a fun reality show (if you can call it that). They never air it any more, though. Haven't seen it since I was like 14 years old.
Cadet 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys Thanks for giving your views On the Reality TV Shows...... Smile Smile
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first of all, I have a pet peeve concerning what we call 'Reality' TV, so be warned that a rant follows.

I'm sorry to step on any toes, but if there is a strategy involved and if there is any sort of prize or reward at the end, it is NOT a 'Reality' show, it is in fact nothing more than a Game show. Game shows today can be quite elaborate, taking place in exotic locales and lasting many weeks, but they are, in essence, still game shows.

The term 'Reality' show ought to be reserved for those shows that depict regular (or not so regular) people doing what they regularly do, like Kate Plus 8, or The Osbornes, or The Real Housewives of Pick-Your-City. Of course, even these shows are carefully edited for maximum drama, so they don't exactly reflect "reality."

But I just can't abide calling a show like Survivor by any name that includes the word "reality."

Maybe that's just me.

As far as my opinions about such shows, some of the elaborate game shows appear kind of interesting, though I have only seen parts of a few episodes here and there. But all in all, I think most of what is out there is pure, unadulterated, voyeuristic GARBAGE, giving true meaning to what television has rightly been called--The Vast Wasteland. In the meantime, HBO keeps cranking out quality storytelling, the likes of which have been almost completely vacant from broadcast television lately, and a few other networks are trying to do the same. It's a pity I refuse to pay for "premium" channels, which seem to be the only ones showing television with any quality. And we are led to believe that is what defines "premium." Confused

Now, ask me how I really feel.

Mr. Green
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So... is Deadliest Warrior a game show?

I feel you, Luther. I also refuse to pay for HBO. But then again, the quality shows everyone seems to be talking about just don't interest me. I used to say I was uninterested in stuff without elves or lasers, but even that's not a guarantee anymore.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how I would categorize Deadliest Warrior. (I've actually seen that show once or twice.) It definitely doesn't strike me as either a reality show or a game show (though there is sort of a 'winner' at the end). It's more like a science/history show, perhaps akin to one of my favorites, Mythbusters: also neither a reality or game show.

After some reflection, perhaps I was a bit hasty with my categorical dismissal of reality TV shows. There are probably some very engaging shows that I just never see--Deadliest Catch comes to mind. I guess I just don't watch much TV, period. I do, however, burn through my Blockbuster Online queue at an alarming rate.

Mr. Green
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I (have and still do) encounter(ed) many of those so called 'reality' shows during my work and believe me there is nothing, absolutely nothing real in these shows. it's all staged, rehearsed and planned ahead. Luther III had the right view on the case.
These formats are made up by commercial companies who's only profit comes from people appealed to the element of sensation brought by explicit behaviour, vulgarity or stupidity. The more people watch (and textmessage) the more income.
Same goes for shows like "Voice of"..", Dancing with the Stars and other 'talent'shows.
The winner is already known to the producers ahead of voting; the one person that wins will be the one they can profit the most from.

I can give you plenty of examples from that by PM if you like, 'cause it's not done in the business to publicly scrutinize your customers. But I guess I'm pretty safe here Smile

take a look at my collection: My album list
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it. I've decided Deadliest Warrior is a documentary, based on a bar bet. A sublime combination.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 849

FoxMcleod64 is offline View user's profile Send private message View FoxMcleod64's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the topic of what constitutes a reality show, I tend to think of shows that have no script whose subject is a person, or a group of people in the course of their everyday lives and/or occupations. I would have to classify Survivor as a game show since these groups of people are brought together for a competition for a prize. Sometimes while watching Survivor makes me wonder how far off we are from real life The Running Man.

@LadyInque, I liked the first two seasons of The Deadlist Warrior but this latest season didn't do it for me. I don't think the match-ups were very good and the addition of all those variables (x-factors such as leadership, logistics, etc) felt as if that gave the producers a way to favor one combatant over the other. I do strongly agree with your assessment of the show as a documentary based on a bar bet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: