StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

**MOVIE SPOILERS** The Two Towers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Wolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 16

Wolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Wolf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:29 am   Post subject: **MOVIE SPOILERS** The Two Towers Reply with quote

Saw the film during the holidays and I must say, it rocks!!

Even in French. (I am not a fan of English movies dubbed in French)
Lieutenant

Member#: 298

EyeDea is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail EyeDea's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 8:58 pm   Post subject: **MOVIE SPOILERS** The Two Towers Reply with quote

Legolas, you have some great points, but there are some of which I disagree with.

First, the use of Gimili as comedic relief; it was a nice touch, and the jokes were almost appropriate. He still showed tons of courage, and was and will remain to be a respectable character. He jumped without pause into packs of orcs to fight them, that’s courage.. And we must also remember that Gimili already had this sense of humor about him in the first film.

Second is the Faramir change. I think to be tempted by the ring and the overcome it is much more of a noble and respectable accomplishment than just not being tempted at all. According to the book, the ring would tempt everyman, and the movie shows exactly that. But the strength and will of Faramir win over, and he overcomes the power of the ring.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 29

SlowMo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SlowMo's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:16 am   Post subject: **MOVIE SPOILERS** The Two Towers Reply with quote

For crying out loud! Just as I manage to convince Legolas that the dwarf picking in the movie was over the top, along comes someone who just reads the last post in the thread and contradicts it.

Let's make it clear : no, the dwarf humor was not to be called appropriate.

And about Faramir, I agree with Legolas, I don't think it adds anything valuable to the movie to change the plot, and make Faramir become tempted by the ring. And really, it is a lot nobler not to be tempted in the first place, it is a feat not even Gandalf or Galadriel could demonstrate.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:00 am   Post subject: **MOVIE SPOILERS** The Two Towers Reply with quote

The situation for Middle Earth in the first film is bleak. With the elves leaving it will be mankind who needs to take up the slack.

But as far as the Dwarves an Elves are concerned, mankind is the most depraved of all the civilized races. They're violent, they're greedy and they don't live as long.

Will mankind be able to live up to what is required of them and save Middle Earth?

The premise of Two Towers is to show that mankind is indeed up to the challenge and "There is still hope."

If I remember, in the book the elves do not help in the battle of helms deep. The humans alone band together and defeat Saruman's army.

As far as Faramir is concerned, the point of him not being tempted by the ring is to show that there are indeed still noble men in the world. Men even more noble than the greatest of elves.

To have him momentarily tempted does indeed soften the effect of him passing on having the ring.

Personally, I believe this was done to help fix the altered plot lines of the movie. By keeping Frodo out of Mordor in the second film, we get to have the fellowship back together for a moment in the third film before Frodo leaves with Sam to enter Mordor.

In the first film Merry and Pippin are the comic relief, but with them both gone in the second film with the ents Peter Jackson obviously felt the baton had to be passed onto someone else and chose Gimli.

Some of the Dwarf jokes are funny ("Couldn't we have picked a better spot!?"). The problem is that there are just too many of him. Every scene with him seems to have a joke at his expense. Hopefully in the third film there will be less of these moments.
musicalnuke
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 3540

musicalnuke is offline View user's profile Send private message musicalnuke's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:25 am   Post subject: Reviving the comments... Reply with quote

I just joined the site and have been enjoying reading all the many well thought out posts. I would like to give my humble take on the books and the movie version.
First, let me say that I am really thrilled that these movies have been quite fantastic. They could have turned out like Dungeons and Dragons III: The Revenge, but instead have become (argueably) the greatest fantasy movies ever made.
However, I am disappointed at some of the changes made to the story of Tolkien that were made for the "movie's sake". The entire Arwen story is overdone. As already noted, it is mostly a backstory and most of that is found in the appendix.
Aragorn does not fall over the cliff and nearly die before the battle at Helm's Deep. It's unnecessary drivel.
The Ents tricked by a Hobbit?!? No, they decide to go to war against Saruman on their own. To have some of the oldest beings in middle earth tricked into fighting against evil is silly.
Faramir's character is probably the biggest mistake of all. In Tolkien's book, Faramir represents the hope that mankind can overcome its baser instincts and rise above the machination of the world. To realize what Frodo carries and not be tempted at all is the noblest a man can be. By making him just like the rest (tempted and survive the challenge) the point of Faramir's character is weakened.
Of course, these are a few minor points in an otherwise fantastic movie that will stand the test of time.
Can't wait for the Return of the King!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: