StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Tiime Travel Paradox, and its possibilities?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
EyeDea
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 298

EyeDea is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail EyeDea's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:06 pm   Post subject: The Tiime Travel Paradox, and its possibilities? Reply with quote

The universe is now, and will continue to expand. This explains or at least makes clear two things:

1. The whole big bang theory. The universe began as one finite point, and expanded to what we see it as today.
2. Today, space is known to be devastatingly cold, but when everything was so packed together, space was actually quit the opposite. It was very hot. Space began to lose heat, as particles had more space to move around.

This is directly tied in with your ideas esparvel. It is not just the earth and moon that are constantly changing as the universe grows with age, but everything around us.

For example if you took a piece of paper and laid it on the table, doing nothing to it, and just stared at it, it would have changed in a span of one second, billions of times over. How is this possible? Well in order for us to see something, light must reflect off it. In order for light to reflect, photons must bounce off it. Visually when this happens, nothing seems to change, but sub-atomically this is a world of change. This leads into my somewhat humble theory of what time is, at least in the laws of our universe. Time is the measure of change. Where there was no change (before the big bang), time was none existent. (This is relative to our universe, which didn’t exist yet.)
What I’m saying is that there could have been time before our universe. There could have been particles moving, things happening, all for time to exist before our universe was created.
Ensign

Member#: 260

zeverken is offline View user's profile Send private message zeverken's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:21 pm   Post subject: The Tiime Travel Paradox, and its possibilities? Reply with quote

first of all:

"Space began to lose heat, as particles had more space to move around."

I would have to disagree with you on this one. Atoms vibrate, and if you add energy (when you boil water) they vibrate even more, they 'warm up'. That's how you get vapor, the atoms vibrate so hard that they can overcome the cohesive forces in the water, and 'jump out of your recipient'. And if you transefer energy from the atoms to the surrounding environment, cool them down (putting water in the freezer), they vibrite less.

So, following this logic, if the whole universe was compacted in one infinite point, and later expanded, that would mean the atoms would have gotten more and more space around them to vibrate. So no way the universe could have been warmer when compacted in one point, the atoms simply didn't have the space around them to vibrate. If they get more space to move around, they certainly wouldn't cool down.

Then the time-theory. You say time = change. I like this idea very much, I agree with it. But what about this: if our universe is constantly expanding, and changing, wouldn't that constantly change the flow of time? In other words, is time a constant?
Lieutenant

EyeDea is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail EyeDea's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:45 pm   Post subject: The Tiime Travel Paradox, and its possibilities? Reply with quote

Well if we consider time to exist anywhere where there is change, also taking into account that things are ALWAYS changing, time is in fact a constant. Time is not affected by the size of the universe, nor its expansion. That’s like trying to say a 5Kg ball will drop faster then a 10Kg one, just because the 10Kg one is heavier. But we know thanks to certain experiments at the Leaning Tower of Piza that no matter what mass, objects will all fall at 9.8m/s. The same applies to time.

Here’s another way to look at it, or at least here is a solution to the problem you are bringing up. Your saying that if we consider time to be a measurement, that with the expansion of the universe, this measurement will always be changing, because the universe is expanding.

Well that’s true, the distance to be measured is always changing (as the universe expands), but the unit at which we measure that distance is still the same. Therefore time, as a unit of measurement remains constant, no matter what distance it measures. You could drive for an hour, at 100mph and cover 100 miles, or you could drive that same hour at 50mph, and cover half the distance. The fact remains that you were still driving for an hour.

Hehe is this making any sense? (Oh, and thank you for the compliment.)
Lieutenant

Member#: 39

Yvond is offline View user's profile Send private message Yvond's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:06 am   Post subject: The Tiime Travel Paradox, and its possibilities? Reply with quote

Folks,

Sigh. I don't mean to be obtuse but this line of reasoning is completely wrong as well. You guys are thinking classically here---the leaning tower experiment is from the time of Newton, and Quantum Mechanics shows that classical Newtonian Mechanics is just an approximation, and is not valid when talking about relativistic speeds.

Time is NOT a constant. If you don't believe me, take it up with Einstein, The Theory of Relativity, and Quantum Mechanics. Space & time are completely, irrivocably, and forever coupled to each other, so that one can drastically affect the other. Furthermore, in a sense, the speed of light can be considered to be the wavefront of time, since if you were able to continually travel at the speed of light, you wouldn't ever age at all. Gravity can also warp space-time, and dramatically affect the properties that we so know and love, but think about wrongly all the time because we don't live at relativistic speeds---but this makes sense when you think about it, because it was just proven experimentally a couple of days ago that gravity travels at the speed of light as well. Remember, a clock traveling near the speed of light will run slower than one that isn't...
EyeDea
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:14 am   Post subject: The Tiime Travel Paradox, and its possibilities? Reply with quote

OK, perhaps I should have been more clear about that. Time, relative to you , is a constant, no matter where or when you are measureing it.
Ensign

zeverken is offline View user's profile Send private message zeverken's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:13 am   Post subject: The Tiime Travel Paradox, and its possibilities? Reply with quote

But what about teleportation?

Suppose you want to teleport something. Wouldn't it be possible to 'scan' every atom of the object, and transmit that data to the reciever. Then the reciever reads the data, and rebuilds the object using a whole collection of atoms, to build molecules, to build the object again? You just need a shitload of atoms to recreate every kind of molecule...
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:38 am   Post subject: The Tiime Travel Paradox, and its possibilities? Reply with quote

Teleportation will not only be possible, but also is not far from our current technology’s reach.

If you really think about it, it’s like sending a piece of paper through a fax line. We never thought it possible before, but now with digital technology, it’s an everyday thing. Computers will become so advanced, as they are already starting to be, that a person’s particle and molecular make-up could be scanned and stored as digital data with ease, just as a copy of a fax is today.

Teleportation can lead to time travel, but in a different sense, (I am speaking again of the Multi-verse.) and an endless amount of new possibilities.

The only problems that now remain with this idea are: What of the original copy? Does the original self get destroyed? Is this murder? Is the new you created on the other side still YOU?
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:19 am   Post subject: The Tiime Travel Paradox, and its possibilities? Reply with quote

you COULD copy the molecular structure of someone, but what about his thoughts, his soul...
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:43 pm   Post subject: The Tiime Travel Paradox, and its possibilities? Reply with quote

Well I’m not exactly sure how the brain and it’s thought work, but it is basically neural charges bounced and interpreted from one brain cell to another.

I think that the surface of each persons brain cells differ just like fingerprint and retina, so when data is received, or bounced from one cell to another, it is interpreted slightly differently because of that difference in surface structure. As a result we get different personality, opinion and perception, in other words, soul.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, if you exactly copy a person’s brain cell, exact surface structure and all, you copy their physical and mental self.
Lieutenant

Member#: 116

esparvel is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website esparvel's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 1:16 pm   Post subject: The Tiime Travel Paradox, and its possibilities? Reply with quote

I've been reading your last posts and they remind me of this Michael Crichton book, "Timeline", he plays with all the theories you're mentioning, anyone has read it?.

Other than that everything is relative in this universe, speed of light was taken for a constant and photons not to have mass but then somebody proved that black holes can slow photons and change their paths ...

Time is also relative, when I was a child a day seemed an ethernity full of new things to learn, now it's just a blink in my life.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:27 pm   Post subject: The Tiime Travel Paradox, and its possibilities? Reply with quote

Timeline is an awesome book, and will most likely make an awesome movie. I read the scipt a few years ago and they had made a decent adaptation.
Zharnak
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 5084

Zharnak is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Zharnak's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old topic, and I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but time travel is travel through just TIME not Time&Space, so if you jumped a year forward or a year backwards, you most likely will be sucking vaccum. Earth orbits the sun once per year, and the sun is swinging around the center of the milky way at such and such speed, and the milky way is moving that-a way at some speed. So unless you travel through time&space at the same time, Earth will probably won't be there when you arrive.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this thread began with a time travel/killing your mother paradox and somehow wound its way over to being about how the tides are slowly decreasing the earth's rotational momentum? Shocked

And anyhow, Zharnak... why did you dredge this thing up again after so long??? Smile
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, why are you dredging this up again? Especially when you're not taking into account that the universe as a whole is expanding and that alone will leave you sucking vacuum, let alone earth's orbit.
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:29 pm   Post subject: Re: The Tiime Travel Paradox, and its possibilities? Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
Whoops, I seem to have stumbled into NerdyForums.com, sorry.

Wink ditto!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: