StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OST

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA MojoPin VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4569

MojoPin is offline View user's profile Send private message View MojoPin's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:56 am   Post subject: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OST Reply with quote

Coming Soon has posted a first preview track:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96722

The original soundtrack, composed, orchestrated, and conducted by Howard Shore will be available as a two CD set in both regular and Special Editions. It will also include an original song entitled "Song of the Lonely Mountain," written and performed by Neil Finn (Crowded House).

Also, Amazon has finally put up a page for preorder, though I can only find the SE version, not the regular one pictured at the link above. The SE version is here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B009O07NDY/comingsoon

*Edit to add:
...and the 'regular' alternative is shown here:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Hobbit-Unexpected-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B009O07NBQ/24fmll-20

Last edited by MojoPin on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A two-disc set, right out the door? I'm starting to feel that this whole Hobbit movie thing is kinda bloated. Seriously, it's the shortest LOTR movie so far. Why does it need two discs?
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

MojoPin is offline View user's profile Send private message View MojoPin's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno. It's a little unusual but also somewhat refreshing – most studios anymore seem determined to gouge with the double-dip strategy. If you already know you want the deluxe edition, at least you can get it straight away instead of being forced choose between waiting ages or buying twice. Possibly that's what they had in mind?
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally get what you're saying, MojoPin. But personally, I'm a little tired of completist album releases, because I find them hard to listen to. Not all score in every movie is worth committing to disc, and I prefer the composers who take time to give me the best 80 minutes they've got. It's something I can put in the machine and listen to, without waiting through tedious background tracks, a let the music tell me the story. We don't always agree on what's best, of course, but I'm usually willing to defer to the professional here.

I'm also personally peeved that they decided to make The Hobbit into three films. It seems like yet another search for more money, and sitting though it is beginning to sound like a chore I'm just going to skip. I suffered through the book. Wasn't that enough?

And why can't I get even one disc of Legend of Korra music? Just saying, it's not fair!
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 331

Andres is offline View user's profile Send private message View Andres's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very pleased that the complete score is being offered from the start. It is a lovely move on someone's part as it gives the market a choice from the beginning instead of having to decide to wait heaven knows how long for the Special Edition.

I am very fond of SE scores. If I like a score at all, being able to hear all the noodlings the composer did on his themes is just more goodness, more opportunity to inhabit that emotional landscape. In many cases the added music includes real gems that were only left off for space reasons, such as 'The Passing of the Elves' in FOTR.
Finland GalFin
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The full ST of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey can be listened to on the www-pages of the British movie magazine Empire.

"Unfortunately, because of copyright concerns, this widget doesn't allow you to skip from track to track, but you can listen to the full thing here, which we think is worth that slight inconvenience."

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35757
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find, GalFin! Cool Thanks for the link!
USA Andres
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 331

Andres is offline View user's profile Send private message View Andres's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thank you Galfin! What a treat.
Finland GalFin
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

MojoPin & Andres, you're welcome!

Actually, it was my husband who found this (another VIP member here Smile ). He said that he was looking for some samples of the Hobbit ST and Empire had just posted the ST widget thing when he noticed it. He subscribes to the Empire magazine (it is a really great movie mag, highly recommended, we've been subscribers since 1990) and follows their news online quite actively.

If you want to hear the end credit song "Song of the Lonely Mountain" performed by Neil Finn (of Crowded House), it can be found separately here.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The only bad thing about that widget is, in spite of the pause button, there isn't really an ability to pause for a long time. You can pause for a few minutes, come back to it and resume your spot, but if you leave it for too long then when you go to restart it, it automatically kicks you back to the start. Just a word of warning!

Also, for those wanting to get a taste of the various tracks without having to sit through the entire thing (or those who simply don't have 105 uninterrupted minutes to spare immediately) ... Amazon now has samples up for each, here:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Hobbit-Unexpected-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B00A3CVFMM/
Note that it's only the regular edition, though; the handful of bonus tracks have yet to be put up there as far as I've seen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: