StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Mac Users: Replacing iTunes Stream
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:55 pm   Post subject: Mac Users: Replacing iTunes Stream Reply with quote

This is for MAC users.

A great Valentine from my Tech man!!! AFter about 5 hours of time one wee small function was tried and we got lucky.. now I can pay my money and be a VIP!!!! I will go with the family to the digs!
Here is how he did it...

Steps
1. Shut off iTunes completely, but do not dump it, save it for your own music library.
2. Go to Click to listen, open under the orange lightening bolt, click VLC Media player.
Download Mac OS X for your kind of Mac.
3. Go to desktop double click on VLC icon and let it install.
4. Back at SST Click to Listen, under the Orange Bolt again, pick the accPlus depending on the speed of your connection. I got the 64accPlus.
5. When it is on your desktop, here is where it gets a bit tricky. I have a mouse that has two sides for clicking open “stuff”. So when the accPlus arrived my tech guy right clicked it open and got a window tht showed accPlus-hi-pls.
Now your trick will be to get that opened without the right clicking ability. My guess it highlight it and hit open on the file part of the menu bar. But I an not so sure. You will know of that I am sure!!
6. When you get that window opened, the third section will say Open with: open that and pick out VLC.app.
Close that window.
7. You will get an icon, double click on it. (mine is on my desktop). Now that you have associated the accPlus play list with VLC, you can double click on the play list which will open your VLC and you get the music!!!!

What made it so hard for us was we opened VLC first then accPlus. This did not work at all.
We had to open accPlus first then VLC to do the function. I think LIes did it the other way around. So now you know there are two ways to do it.
Good luck!

by Natedogg_23 *split from Goodbye Live365 thread*.
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some steps that worked for Lieserl as well. Hopefully between these two posts all mac users will be able to find a replacement stream once iTunes no longer works at the end of February.

Lieserl wrote:
It seems some peeps are having problems hooking up to the stream on Mac computers. I'm still working at becoming accustomed to VLC, but here at least is a nice simple little walkthrough of how to set it up:

1. Get the VLC media player under this link, or use the VIP listen link to get the 128k streams. I use the Winamp version of VLC (thats the lightning bolt one, thanks dragon ).

2. At the VLC page pick your poison under "Download VLC"...Mac OS X is here. Under the "Universal Binary" section at the top, pick what should be the closest version and download it.

3. Head off to this page again, and select the AACPlus Winamp (thats the lightning bolt one ) and download that sucka.

4. Now on my setup, the AACPlus stream, when accessed, defaults automatically into iTunes, and doesnt do squat. Delete it from the iTunes playlist.

5. Open the VLC player. The Open Network/Source window should appear, but if not, its under the File menu. In the Open Source window, go to the File section of the File-Disc-Network bar. Hit Browse and find wherever you've hidden your little AACPlus stream.

6. Hit OK.

7. Poofies! you have SST Playing on a Mac. Easy peasy.

So far it appears you have to reselect the stream each time you turn VLC on, though. If not, I'm lazy and missed something. /shrug

Hope this helps!

~Lies
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

natedogg_23 wrote:
Hopefully between these two posts all mac users will be able to find a replacement stream once iTunes no longer works at the end of February.

Is there any reason iTunes streams have to disappear entirely? Can't you put iTunes links in the LoudCity portal?

When I'm in iTunes, I can choose Advanced-->Open Stream, and all I have to do is type in the URL of a stream. It seems like it would not be too difficult to stream directly to iTunes without Live365.

But what do I know?...

Wink

Edit: Oh yeah: it would have to be an iTunes-compatible format... Rolling Eyes Maybe if mp3 streams ever get worked out?

Last edited by Luther_III on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This all sounds far more complicated than what I have. I downloaded VLC, and the ogg stream, whatever that's called. I start up VLC, Open File, then open the ogg file sitting (currently) on my desktop, and it plays, no problem. I don't think I needed to install any WinAmp stuff. Hrm.

Anyway, anyone else notice that VLC is so much louder than iTunes, even at its lowest volume setting?
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III,

Good question Luther and one I am not sure about because I have never owned nor used a mac in my life. I just know that several people have mentioned they were not sure how to get the stream once the iTunes stream goes away. So, I asked if Cinder and Lieserl could list the steps they went through to help others having similiar issues. Feel free to list how you got the stream to work as it might be helpful as well.

LadyInque wrote:
This all sounds far more complicated than what I have. I downloaded VLC, and the ogg stream, whatever that's called. I start up VLC, Open File, then open the ogg file sitting (currently) on my desktop, and it plays, no problem. I don't think I needed to install any WinAmp stuff. Hrm.

Thanks for posting this information. Sounds like this may be an even easier way.
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I used iTunes back in the mp3PRO days. The aacPlus streams are so superior that I no longer listen via iTunes. (Regardless of whatever Live365 is doing.) Rolling Eyes

It would be nice to have the option to use iTunes, but I guess it'll have to wait until Apple gets their act together and offers aacPlus compatibility. Or if SST were able to get the mp3 streams working, that should work too.

Wink
Commodore
Commodore

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III wrote:
I used iTunes back in the mp3PRO days. The aacPlus streams are so superior that I no longer listen via iTunes. (Regardless of whatever Live365 is doing.) Rolling Eyes

It would be nice to have the option to use iTunes, but I guess it'll have to wait until Apple gets their act together and offers aacPlus compatibility. Or if SST were able to get the mp3 streams working, that should work too.

Wink

OH gosh I would have been so happy to have stayed with iTunes! For me the sound was great, I always use about a 3 on loud rating, my own scale thank you very much, and am still on a 3 now with new system.
I have no clue why iTunes will not fly with the new 24seven.fm we are going to. Just know I was informed I would be left behind if I did not soup up my Mac! So not wishing to be left out.. ewww hate that when it happens, I spent and my IT guy, about 10 hours going around and around. No reason why it works one way for Lies and the same programs go the other way for me! Just a freaky thing in computer science, and Macs probably. I got lots of help here from the folks and am most grateful. Hey I even joined up with an IT group of folks with questions and answers trying to figure this out.. and let me tell you that information went right over my head like a hair net!
I am a Mac woman of 20 years, so not about to change now!!! Very Happy
Cadet 1

Member#: 16688

ToshiroSan is offline View user's profile Send private message ToshiroSan's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! Worked perfectly and now, on my beloved Mac, I'm streaming all those lovely bytes!

-ToshiroSan
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:31 am   Post subject: WAY TO GO!! Reply with quote

ToshiroSan wrote:
Brilliant! Worked perfectly and now, on my beloved Mac, I'm streaming all those lovely bytes!

-ToshiroSan

Congrats on coming over to the other side!!!!
Way to go!
Ensign

Member#: 13685

limeychick is offline View user's profile Send private message limeychick's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

However I wish that VLC showed the track name in its window, like iTunes does. But the sound quality is great!
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

limeychick wrote:
However I wish that VLC showed the track name in its window, like iTunes does. But the sound quality is great!

thank you!!!
I have to have SST open and running too to see what is playing, I am composer challenged most of the time to know what is playing.
Any way to get around this? anything else we can add to see what is playing?

thanks
Cadet 2

Member#: 10166

doremi77 is offline View user's profile Send private message doremi77's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:

Anyway, anyone else notice that VLC is so much louder than iTunes, even at its lowest volume setting?

That's exactly the way I happen to do it. I've had no problems so far. Smile
And yeah... you're right. It is really loud compared to iTunes. Shocked

However... if you activate the equalizer in VLC, you can set the dB (dezibel) slider to 0 or less. Then you should have an ampler scope with the volume slider. Cool
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, doremi77! I'll give that a shot.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

or use the - /+ keys on your num pad when you have VLC selected.
dalandis
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9583

dalandis is offline View user's profile Send private message View dalandis's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... had a little panic attack today when a friend reported they SST was off of iTunes. Then found the forum saying I would love my live365 feed soon too.

So figured I better get my stuff organzied and operating asap.

Downloaded that VLC Media Player and it plays the aacPlus (VIP) stream just great. (I think I did have to "CONTROL CLICK" to bring up the floating menu to force it to open with VLC).

Once the stream was playing I too noticed it was SCREAMING loud in relation to my system sounds and such.

So as suggested, I opened the Equalizer on VLC. (Make sure you hit the ENABLE button to hear the change!) Definitely take that Preamp down to near 0 dB. That equalizes it quite well to a normal volume control in comparison to system sounds.

(Don't know what 2 Pass accomplishes... but knocks down the sound even more... I don't use that.)

Also... they have some equalizer presets.

I am now listening with the "Classical" preset.. (This takes some of the hotness off the treble... makes it sound more rich through my speakers.)

I was hoping that VLC would help more by showing track names (and part of the queue) but it does not.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a player that would list the track and show the album art all in one tidy package?

For me... seeing album art is CRITICAL as I listen to the stream. It actually makes the listening experience so much better as the visual adds to the impact of the music. So I will continue (as I have always done since I first found SST) to have my web browser displaying the top sliver of SST on one of my screens at all time.

Anyway... just wanted to share my experience here with any other mac users that are about to do this.

-Dalandis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: