StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Who will score the Star Wars sequels?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Who will score the next Star Wars movies?
John Williams
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Michael Giacchino
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Someone Else
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

Geomancer
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 7499

Geomancer is offline View user's profile Send private message View Geomancer's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:12 pm   Post subject: Who will score the Star Wars sequels? Reply with quote

By now alll you Star Wars fans out there might have heard that JJ Abrams is going to be the director on Episode VII planned for a 2015 release date. As many of you may also well know, Abrams is a frequent collaborator with Michael Giacchino. Of coure, John Williams has scored all the other films in the Original Trilogy and the Prequels. So what do you think?
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Tch... Am I the only one not excited about any of this Star Wars news? If it's anything like the new Star Trek stuff, it's just going to be nostalgic warm-overs of what everyone expects to see, rather than anything new or interesting.

But, personal bitterness aside, I think it's unlikely that Williams will do it. What they'll need is a talented composer who can write good score while utilising Williams's themes because, let's face it, it's not Star Wars without that music. (The trilogies have a much clearer musical identity than Star Trek, so continuity is necessary.) John Ottman did this sort of thing for Superman Returns. Maybe he's be a contender.
Ensign
Ensign

Geomancer is offline View user's profile Send private message View Geomancer's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that. I am conflicted myself. Part of me says " oh, God, here we go again." The other part can't help but be excited for more Star Wars and hope that it is better than the last ones. I have a friend who denies the existance of the prequels. I have another friend who says he will walk out of the theatre if Sam Jackson makes another appearance.

But all that aside. The score. Will it be Williams again. Sometimes I get the feeling when listening to the music for the prequels that he had some of his underlings do most of the work. But that could just be Williams sounding like Williams. Ya know?

I like Giacchino's work. I don't think Star trek is the best example of what he can do. And some of his stuff sounds borrowed of course (Incredibles). But I think he could be a good match if he works some of the SW themes into it.

Does anyone think they might have different composers for each of the movies? Or that they will pick an up-and-comer?
Ensign

Member#: 33839

RandinGraves is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View RandinGraves's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As I announced in chat once, if the SST users band together and get me chosen, you can all play an instrument or sing in a choir somewhere on the score. But you guys will have to work hard, since I haven't had many opportunities to do that style yet. Smile
www.facebook.com/randinmusic

Last edited by RandinGraves on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

take a look at my collection: My album list
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/18/john-williams-to-return-for-more-star-wars
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Abrams will elect to go with someone other than Williams, and it will probably be hard for him to pass up Giacchino. I wonder if Joel McNeeley will be given a look.

Mr. Green
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel McNeely? He still around? That would mean taking a break from scoring all those Tinkerbell movies for Disney. (Though I hear he does that very well.)
Commander
Commander

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I mention McNeely (spelling corrected this time) because he is rumored to have done a host of uncredited orchestration for Williams, and he already has a track record of producing some convincing Williams-pastiche soundtracks incorporating Williams themes (Shadows of the Empire, Young Indiana Jones Chronicles).

Still, I think Abrams will want to put his own mark on Star Wars and will do so partially by using a composer who him/herself is a newcomer to the Star Wars Universe.

Mr. Green
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Abrams will have the final say on the composer or not. It could be that since Williams has said he is interested, well, then that is that. At his age though, could this be a chance for him to pass the Star Wars baton? This project will stretch out over four years, maybe this is an opportunity for him to do a team-up!

I like that McNeely got brought up. I also thought of Jeremy Soule, who did the music for another Star Wars video game, Knights of the Old Republic. I have been expecting him to break out with a major movie soundtrack any time. Come to think of it, I first became aware of Giacchino through a video game; the Medal of Honor series (via SST of course).
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Williams being really old. Does he want to spend this time doing a 7th+ Star Wars score?

Heck, why not take a look at Kevin Kiner? He did The Clone Wars, both the movie and the television series. Not everyone was crazy about his score for the film, but he's the only other composer whose Star Wars music has actually been heard in a movie theater.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4569

MojoPin is offline View user's profile Send private message View MojoPin's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

John Williams may be getting up there but he is still John Williams. Cool Probably I am biased, but I have a hard time believing any director would turn him down for a project he's openly expressed interest in, especially a franchise with which he has an iconic association.

However, since it's no longer Lucas at the helm but Abrams & Disney (a change which itself leaves me with rather mixed & lukewarm feelings), I could see Abrams wanting a wholly blank canvas in order to put his own stamp on it, as Luther said. In that sense I wouldn't be surprised to see Giacchino's name confirmed, so I'm already bracing myself. I don't dislike Giacchino, in fact I rather like most of his work, I just hate that he seems to be a foregone conclusion to most people ever since Abrams was announced. :/

I think I would warm sooner to the suggestions above of either McNeely or Soule, if only because they already have ties to the franchise. Possibly more confident with McNeely between the two, though, as Soule's resume is mostly VGM.

Either way, one of these or Giacchino, I'll still be hugely disappointed to see this franchise diverted away from JW while the man is still with us & willing.

But if JW changes his mind, I'm happy to work on Randin's grassroots push. Wink LOL
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really interesting question and I personally hope John Williams does the scoring.

If not, however, I would think it likely that Michael Giacchino would do it. He actually has track record himself with work he did for the Star Tours music. He also indicated how he wanted to use Williams' original themese rather than making up his own for that project. You can read about it here .

These days I think Michael Giacchino has found his own style but back when he wrote Medal of Honor: Underground I thought he sounded very much like John Williams. Although his Star Trek score didnt really sound a Star Trek score to me and that would worry me about him scoring Star Wars.

But then, who else? I think John Ottman is a really good call.

By the way, My heart sank when I heard it was Abrahms directing Star Wars. I loved what he did for Star Trek but I don't think Star Wars needs rebooting.
I think he should ditch CGI and go back to models and puppets. Look at what gave the first films such charm and not what made the sequel trilogy antiseptic.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I love models and puppets too, mellowman! I don't think that they alone could have saved the Star Wars prequels, but maybe their lack speaks to a certain mindset that likes fancy digital effects over everything else.

I'm not looking forward to Abrams, but at least it isn't Joss Whedon, who hasn't done anything I've liked in a while.
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it seems Abrams is at least considering working with Williams, and we know from Cal's post that Williams is interested...

Interestingly, in the article Abrams admits he was never a Star Trek fan, but thought he could make a Star Trek movie in a way that he would enjoy. That's probably why his Star Trek movies are really more like Star Wars. I suspect Abrams will be able to stay closer to the tone of the source material with his Star Wars films than he did with Star Trek. The article called Episode VII a reboot, but it's not really a reboot, but a proper sequel, right?

Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: