StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Ender's Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Oglala Istagi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:02 pm   Post subject: Ender's Game Reply with quote

Ender’s Game.

I watched Ender's Game on Friday. It has taken me an entire weekend to process it. I will give away no spoilers here.

The book was nearly life changing for me, and even though I have not read it in many years I remember the book fondly and gave it multiple readings. I remember giving the book to Jonette about 10 years ago and saying, "Here read this" and just saying nothing more about it. It was almost as fun getting her reactions to the story as my first time reading it.

I am surprised at how much of the book was included. I figured the producers would omit some of the more psychological conditioning of Ender. I am glad they took a brave route and went for it, for those of you who have read the book, yea they took on ALL OF IT! and did the best they could with the constraints of film medium and time.

I was a bit confused as to the change in location for the command school but the shift served the story well in the end. If you have read the book do not be overly concerned about the location. The new location was necessary for the epilog of the story.

One plot thread that was dropped completely was the political antics of Ender’s brother and sister, Peter and Valentine, back on Earth. Although the side plot is important to the book it is not an essential thread for the overall story and would have been impossible to film.

I think the movie could have benefited by being two films, there was no sense of time in the movie, the months of training that Ender endured and how he triumphed over his classmates and enemies at battle school. If any book should have been spread over two movies, this one was it.

film 1 in Battle School and film 2 in Command School. I am sure non-fans would have reacted like viewers at the end of Fellowship of the Ring and be confused, but it would have been worth it in the end.

Ender’s Game is a character driven story, 2 films could have fleshed out the characters and their interactions and growth, especially Petra, Bean, Bernard, and Bonzo. The relationship and personalities between all these characters is important to the evolution of Ender.

I can see a financial reason for not increasing the length of this story, the effects costs were enormous, estimated budget of 110 million. It seems that nearly every penny of that cash is seen on the screen. The design was far more beautiful than I ever imagined while reading the story. I never thought of the battle school arena as being clear and open, I always thought of it as a large metal room, not a clear glass sphere with the Earth and stars visible. As a side note the wirework for the students in the battle arena is some of the best wire work I have ever seen, good stuff.

No 3D, this is an interesting choice and I think if Ender’s Game is successful it could mean the beginning of the end for the recent 3D craze. To me 3D is rarely necessary and II do not think much of 3D. I have seen a total of 2 3D films, Avatar and Gravity. I feel that both films were enhanced by 3D. Ender’s Game would have been my 3rd 3D film. The battle school arena fight scenes are absolutely screaming for a 3D treatment. Not that the scenes are bad in 2D, they are stunning, but a good 3D punch would not have detracted from their impact.

The score by Steve Jablonsky is pretty typical for him, heavy on the bass, heroic, and containing a driving pulse. It is, at its heart, a Media Ventures score with a heavy Zimmer influence and that is not exactly a bad thing. I am enjoying the score immensely.

I am looking forward to a big fat special edition Bluray disc set of this film next year.

Go Dragons!

8 -10 so far the best movie I have seen this year, and a pleasant surprise, just should have been longer.
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting post Istagi! Thank you!
The only problem I've got now is that I don't think I should go and see this film. I probably should read the book first! Smile

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Oglala Istagi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

molossus wrote:
Very interesting post Istagi! Thank you!
The only problem I've got now is that I don't think I should go and see this film. I probably should read the book first! Smile

It is not a long book.
Admiral (Administrator)

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I already found out that it's been published in Poland. so I'll try to find it before I go to the movies.

Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Istagi! I missed the movie at the theatres, I'm afraid, but I bought the book and I'm enjoying reading it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: