StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Updated list of the Worst Movie Score Composers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Ormsby
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 9996

Ormsby is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Ormsby's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:15 pm   Post subject: Updated list of the Worst Movie Score Composers Reply with quote

Several scores for recent motion pictures offer little more than monotonous repetitions of empty refrains, at times utilizing only three notes, which have been laid upon a dreadful continuo and passed off as a music score, demonstrating for all to hear that the actual score is zero.

Take Antonio Secchi, for example, whose music for A Luci Spente drones on seemingly endlessly, with no hint of melody, much less anything approaching musical talent.

Angelo Badalamenti, an American known for his long career of scoring unhappy films – achieves a pinnacle of unimaginative nothingness with his Elegy for Margarite. And when I finally listened to his theme for Inside the Actor’s Studio, I repeat again, there isn’t much more there than several repetitive notes.

Caetano Veloso is a Brazilian, whose work, Tieta do agreste, is another glaring example of this particular trend in dismal scoring.

And even though I have one of Ludovico Einaudi’s tracks on my list of faves (Fuori Dal Mondo), his score for the current version of Dr. Zhivago, specifically the track titled Zhivago, is so dull that I am hesitant to give this movie a spin. So, let’s just say he is inconsistent.

Harry Escott was chosen to score Director Steve McQueen’s movie, Shame, with the track titled, Brandon, standing as the perfect example of “music” that serves only as insipid audio filler. The same can be said for Michael Nyman’s still-born score for The Burning.

Polish composer Wojciech Kilar, whose score for Bram Stoker’s Dracula was appropriate in its day, has stumbled badly with his more recent The Funeral, from Il Sole Nero, an interminable track, which is more dreadful than an actual funeral. There is no music here, just an orchestra conducting a sound test . . . a trait of all too many recent movie soundtracks . . . the test being how much of this audio torture can we endure.

-- Thomas Ormsby
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular classic pieces can be really dreadful too.
There is a piece by John Cagecalled "As Slow As Possible" that has a very slow pace and is expected to be played continuously for 639 years now by means of modern technology.
It's currently being performed in Halberstadt/Germany and changes in note every Sep,5th each year.

Seen in that light scores for movies aren't that bad
Smile

take a look at my collection: My album list
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: