StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Ads or commercials streaming recently
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 

What is your position about streaming ads?
I like them
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I hate them
96%
 96%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 31

Mexico crowndelorean
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 31502

crowndelorean is offline View user's profile Send private message View crowndelorean's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:12 pm   Post subject: Ads or commercials streaming recently Reply with quote

Hi everybody, recently we have heard a lot of commercials between our lovely songs.

I hate commercials and morning DJ's, that's the reason I love SST, What's Happening?

What can we do about it?

I love the station the way it is, no ads, no people talking, just soundtracks.
Netherlands Iwan_the_Blue
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 30168

Iwan_the_Blue is offline View user's profile Send private message View Iwan_the_Blue's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all who want to react on this poll.

Unfortunately there is just one solution:

Donate more and the ads will not be neccesary.

The costs to keep this stream running are going up, the donations are going down. If you want to know what costs, ask the admin-people, they can explain and confirm.

Anyway: who likes ads? don't need a poll for that.

I am one of the VIP's who never donated something extra. I have my reasons, and you all have your reasons. Think about it, maybe you can donate. And maybe I can too. and together we can help SST.

If one the people admin-people (or other SST-bosses) want to react or correct the above, please do.

Peter...aka Iwan the Blue
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a " Russian" poll.
Everybody dislikes commercials.

It's not for fun that they are being implemented but sheer necessity.
The alternative in the end would be NO SST anymore.
On one hand the station needs to pay license and broadcasting fees that grow higher every year.
The revenues that 24seven pays them from are all lower for a great number of months in a row:

Google ads and Amazon links have cut down their ontribution.
We have less members having a VIP contribution
More than half of the months in a year the donation meter, which is a prime contribution, did NOT reach its goal.

So whether or not there will be ads is depending fully on the contribution of the members.
People who do have contributed are very much thanked for that, but many others still have to be encouraged.

Maybe it's an idea to change your poll into the question:
Are you willing to pay a $ 35 ( fictive amount) yearly membership fee and keep SST Adfree
Or
I will keep the donation meter filled for free membership, with the risk of ads if the goal is not reached.

take a look at my collection: My album list
Czech Republic max-
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 28619

max- is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View max-'s Favorites
ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i understand, what happening now, but, what about reducing the price of monthly/year subscribes on 3.99/35$ or an another interesting price, allways there method like get a more ppl to listening this site or subsribe.
Netherlands SkyAero
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 34557

SkyAero is offline View user's profile Send private message View SkyAero's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that is free is the sun coming up in the morning (that's a Dutch saying). If you think that websites like facebook, google and twitter are free, you are naive.

I am a VIP member simply because I want to support SST. I don't donate, because I think $60/year is a fair price, but more is not justified. I have no need for any of the benefits of VIP membership. Maybe that's why there are so few VIP memberships: the benefits are not that great for its price.

What I've noticed so far
- Multiple ads after each other. Somehow I find that very annoying. It takes you too much out of the work flow
- Ads are focused on a US audience. Regional advertisement would be more beneficial for me and for SST (higher ad price because better audience target)
- VIP membership should result in ad-free listening. Sites like Spotify and Twitch show that people are willing to pay for such a benefit. As said, I don't mind paying a yearly membership fee.

I use SST to limit distraction during my job. Soundtrack is a perfect background music. I'm wearing closed full-ear cover earphones to eliminate noise from the office. This allows me to stay in my work-flow

I'll be honest: if the ads will disturb my work-flow, I will not renew my VIP membership and move over to e.g. a spotify membership with my own soundtrack playlist.
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Retrieved from other thread:

dalandis wrote:
Hi Sirius... I used Live365 for years originally, but moved to the iTunes stream a while back. I note your words "commercial-free" though... but why are we hearing ads in the stream on certain days (today for example is VERY heavy with ads for places like GIECO, BUFFALO WILD WINGS, etc)

molossus wrote:
Commercials in the stream are something new that was implemented in recent days.
We are waiting for news from JERIC to learn more details about it.

JERIC's comment from couple of days ago goes:
Quote:
As far as why they are in there, with the exception of the donation meter being filled in April, that has not happened in many months and we have to pay the bills somehow. (...)
Right now I would consider this a testing phase. If people are filling the donation meter then I'm taking that as they don't want ads.

gandm wrote:
I love SST, but the ads are so annoying. I listen to internet radio to get away from the constant ads of terrestrial radio.

I understand that you need income to run the site. But that is what VIP memberships are for (I can't afford to be a full time member but I get a month long subscription on a regular basis) as well as website advertisements.

Please keep SST commercial free. I don't want to go elsewhere for my music but I can't stand the stupid commercials. Please go back to the way it was before SST was ruined.

Thank you for listening to my rant.

LadyInque wrote:
Maybe it's time to consider a nominal fee for membership, or levels of membership. Maybe you can join, listen, and chat for free, but a requesting-enabled membership would cost a once-in-a-lifetime fee of $5. The VIP memberships could keep as they are.

Of course, if this were to work, you might need to ask existent members to pony up, as well as new members.

Redjack wrote:
Checking in here as I just started listening again after a few days of break. Instantly noticed the ads as they throw off the entire listening mood.

I've donated in the past to help, but if I hear commercial ads, good luck getting anything else out of me!
gandm
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 30695

gandm is offline View user's profile Send private message gandm's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all the ideas that were stated above. I think that SST has to reconsider it's pricing model. I think maybe having premium services is the way to go.

I just heard another commercial and it's so jarring and loud. Made me hit the stop button. I think I can keep this up for a few more days but as little as I want to admit it, I will probably be moving on to another station. And this is somebody who has been listening for years and has bought multiple monthly VIP memberships.

-
Some "reasonable" alternatives to keep the site ad free:

Maybe restricting free streaming to 32 kbs and then having a upper tier of $1 per month ($10 year) for higher amounts.

Get rid of "VIP" memberships and simply tie it to the donations. In other words, if you donate, you get VIP status automatically.

More website advertisements to generate revenue as this doesn't interfere with listening.

One thing that will completely kill your donations and VIP membership is having ads in something that we actually pay for. It's awful to think that 1 month ago you could listen ad free for zero cost, but today, you sign up for a $60 yearly VIP membership and donate $50 AND still have to listen to ads. That is plain wrong and outrageous (IMHO).
-

As the voting shows, ads are not popular (but did we really need a poll to tell us that?). I think listeners are going start gravitating toward other stations soon if things don't change. PLEASE, don't let this happen. SST is my favorite station and I would hate to leave.
USA Bruiser VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 3050

Bruiser is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Bruiser's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there does need to be a change, but it costs a lot of money for JERIC to keep this station running. I don't know why people have stopped donating. I am happy to kick in a few bucks to keep it going and ad-free.

We have so many members and listeners that if everyone threw in a little bit, it would keep SST from having to do this.
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviewing the pricing model is absolutely necessary.I agree on that one Gandm.
Not underestimating the great contribution VIP members or donators do but it's just not enough to keep the station running.
There are more people listening for free than contributing members.

it will all be up for discussion with the propietors but it will take some time.
Fastest thing we can do now is just filling up, so there's no reason anymore to have the ads.

More advertising on the website can only be marginal to keep it useable in outlook.

Switching to other stations isn't an option.
The ones for free all have ads.
The ones you must pay for still have ads or don't have the same quality and database as SST has.
e.g. I listen to Spotify Premium just to check out new scores, but I think it not good for listening experience and lacks the chat and community.

Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent message from Jeric to an Admin:

Ads should be 1 each half hour, not 2
He will look into that and write a statement in the forum.

CatCalloway
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 16740

CatCalloway is offline View user's profile Send private message CatCalloway's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch, this morning they were running 2 ever half-hour.

So much for that huh ? This is the tip of the iceberg for SST. Worse yet, it is the same commercials over-and-over which are the most annoying kind.
gandm
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

gandm is offline View user's profile Send private message gandm's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Dutchbat"]Reviewing the pricing model is absolutely necessary.I agree on that one Gandm.
Not underestimating the great contribution VIP members or donators do but it's just not enough to keep the station running.
There are more people listening for free than contributing members.

Agree with you.

Quote:
it will all be up for discussion with the propietors but it will take some time.
Fastest thing we can do now is just filling up, so there's no reason anymore to have the ads.

I hope they don't take long as people will abandon the site quickly if commercials become too intrusive.

Quote:
More advertising on the website can only be marginal to keep it useable in outlook.

Frankly, the site is almost a second thought. There are a few users who come to the site (like myself) but the overwhelming majority just listen to the music. There are 570+ listeners right now, and only a few people on the site. And the people on the site are generally the same group of individuals. When something like only 2% of your listeners visit the site, it should be low priority. I would rather lose the site completely than have to listen to commercials (but that is me of course).

Quote:
Switching to other stations isn't an option.
The ones for free all have ads.
The ones you must pay for still have ads or don't have the same quality and database as SST has.
e.g. I listen to Spotify Premium just to check out new scores, but I think it not good for listening experience and lacks the chat and community.

Well, there are a lot of soundtrack stations out there and some don't have ads. Others have premium services which remove the ads. The primary one that comes to mind is the soundtracks station on XM/Sirius radio. Yes, you pay for their monthly services, but no ads after.

Lastly, if SST wants to sell a premium service, they have to offer something that is of value to most listeners. 98% of active listeners are not requesting songs, they are just listening. That means your target paying audience is only 2% of the listeners, and only a fraction of them will pay anyway. That is a bad business model. The premium service should benefit ALL paying customers. So higher bitrate streams, no ads,... etc should be in the premium package.

Think of it like this. Say netflix offered all their streaming movies for free, and paying the monthly fee only got you to be able to make comments about movies on their website, do you really think people would pay? Of course not, that's because for 98% of listeners/watchers, the only thing that counts is that the media is playing. Very few people (like myself and those reading this post) care enough to ever visit the site.

Last edited by gandm on Wed May 14, 2014 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Netherlands SkyAero
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 34557

SkyAero is offline View user's profile Send private message View SkyAero's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchbat (in chat) wrote:
but no personal offense to either of you, but I'm getting kinda fed up having this discussion for two days in a row now. so I'm taking a break now and go into town for a Beer have a nightshirt coming up

Not aimed at you personally Dutch, but I want to point out the problem. What you have been doing the past two days is 'damage control' over a decision to have a test phase in which radio ads are played every half an hour'.

We wouldn't have this discussion in this way if SST had communicated beforehand that they were not receiving enough funds, that they would perform an experiment with radio ads (period, durations, frequency), made clear when the evaluation was, made an official topic on the forum for feedback and addressed the issues foreseen for which a solution was sought (VIP membership)

Currently we rely on information 'that SST needs more money' and that the owner (Jeric) will make a post about it in the near future. That's not a lot of info. The fierce resistance is not a direct result of the ads, but of the lack of transparency on the side of SST about it.

If you would like to see SST going down the drain, not being transparent with your members is a good way to do it. Several members have already announced to quit their financial support for SST. Damage done.
gandm
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SkyAero wrote:
Dutchbat (in chat) wrote:
but no personal offense to either of you, but I'm getting kinda fed up having this discussion for two days in a row now. so I'm taking a break now and go into town for a Beer have a nightshirt coming up

Not aimed at you personally Dutch, but I want to point out the problem. What you have been doing the past two days is 'damage control' over a decision to have a test phase in which radio ads are played every half an hour'.

We wouldn't have this discussion in this way if SST had communicated beforehand that they were not receiving enough funds, that they would perform an experiment with radio ads (period, durations, frequency), made clear when the evaluation was, made an official topic on the forum for feedback and addressed the issues foreseen for which a solution was sought (VIP membership)

Currently we rely on information 'that SST needs more money' and that the owner (Jeric) will make a post about it in the near future. That's not a lot of info. The fierce resistance is not a direct result of the ads, but of the lack of transparency on the side of SST about it.

If you would like to see SST going down the drain, not being transparent with your members is a good way to do it. Several members have already announced to quit their financial support for SST. Damage done.

Good point. If we had specific information I think the backlash would be much mitigated.

I think if we were told that "the site is losing about $1,200 a month and will be shut down in 3 months if we don't increase income by "X" amount... and that we will try a 2 week period with ads to see how much revenue it generates and how it effects listerns,.. etc... it would be much better tolerated.

Frankly, it would be great to know some specifics. If your going to tell me that ads are here to stay no matter what or this "trial period" is indefinite then that would be helpful as I can start looking for alternatives. Right now I feel like I'm being stringed along with "why don't you donate some money even though it does not guarentee anthing". I see we are $160 away from this months donation goal. Does that mean that if we make the goal the ads will go away? Even if we meet the goal, does that mean the ads will stay? If the ads are staying regardless, why would I want to donate?
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

gandm wrote:
Frankly, the site is almost a second thought. There are a few users who come to the site (like myself) but the overwhelming majority just listen to the music. There are 570+ listeners right now, and only a few people on the site. And the people on the site are generally the same group of individuals. When something like only 2% of your listeners visit the site, it should be low priority. I would rather lose the site completely than have to listen to commercials (but that is me of course).

Think of it like this. Say netflix offered all their streaming movies for free, and paying the monthly fee only got you to be able to make comments about movies on their website, do you really think people would pay? Of course not, that's because for 98% of listeners/watchers, the only thing that counts is that the media is playing. Very few people (like myself and those reading this post) care enough to ever visit the site.

I cry shenanigans on the Netflix example. A draw for me has always been the ability to request music. I think that's the foundation of a lot of the community here, and anthropologically I'm fascinated by the ways that the queue is used to communicate. Let's say Netflix offered all their movies for free, but you never got to request a specific movie to watch. Everything was random. How long would that be interesting? Is that why people use Netflix?

I still think what I thunk before. Make people pay for requesting privileges. A lifetime fee or a yearly fee. Something cheaper than the VIPs, but let the VIPs request more. Maybe that would be enough to soothe the finances; I don't know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: