StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The voting system
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Edisman
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 676

Edisman is offline View user's profile Send private message Edisman's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:50 pm   Post subject: The voting system Reply with quote

You guys should do something about the voting system. As it is today, the same songs keep getting in the playlist to fast...

It feels like a big waste of a LOT of material that probably never ( or very rarely) get played.

Granted I don't know how your playlist get generated, but this is my impression of your service after listening for some time now.

Anyone agree or disagree?

PS. Thanx for the new 128k streams. VERY apprechiated.
Kristofke
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 778

Kristofke is offline View user's profile Send private message Kristofke's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

I very much would like to see another station that has no "add to playlist" function. That a computer creates the playlist by it's own, and does so with attention to the mood of soundtracks. For example you can have a John Williams night, or a Hans Zimmer night. You set up a Horror evening etc...

I would like that very much, because sometimes the mood of the soundtracks that follow eachother up , are not always perfect. (for ex. A.I. <-> Crimson Tide)

(sorry for my bad English)
Patje
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 482

Patje is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Patje's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree.

What I like about this site is that the listeners can choose the music they prefer. This is impossible with normal radiostation where the listeners cannot choose which songs they would like to hear (maybe one or 2 songs). The reason I am listening to this station is to get a sneakpeak of some new scores.
I agree that some soundtracks are played more often than other soundtracks (for instance Time Machine). But we are the ones who choose the playlist. So it's to us to request some songs we have never heard before.

But that's my opinion Wink
Cadet 4

Kristofke is offline View user's profile Send private message Kristofke's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

that's why I want a *second* station Smile
EdMcMan
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 423

EdMcMan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website EdMcMan's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know what you mean. Some songs get played quite often *cough the professor cough cough*. It really doesn't happen as often as it seems though (2 or 3 times a day maybe). I don't think it's something that needs to be changed.
Edisman
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 676

Edisman is offline View user's profile Send private message Edisman's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not syaing that the voting system should be discarded completely, but it should have a little less impact on the playlist in general.

An idea that came to mind is that perhaps every five song is a requested one and the ones in between are added by the randomizer selecting from the vast archives that contain a lot of good music. The number five could of course be any number, but you get the idea.

This system would increase the diversity while maintaining ability to vote for your favorite songs. Although it would take a little longer before your song gets played but since you all listen to this channel 24/7 I don't think that would be a problem Wink
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love enthusiastic newbies who can't help but tell Jeric how he should run his site.

To start, stop calling it "The Voting System". Voting has nothing to do with how requests are made. You're either confused, or simply saying "voting" when what you really mean is "requesting."

Personally I'm surprised you weren't immediately lynched by the denizens of this board for suggesting Jeric get rid of requests all together.

However, since I'm the one who usually leads the lynching, and you're new here, I'll cut you some slack.

What you kiddies don't realize is people love this site for many reasons. One of course being the music, but a close second is the ability to hear any particular piece of music one requests within a reasonable amount of time.

Once you toddlers have hung around a bit longer you'll realize that it is not unusual for the backlog of requests to reach well over 30 during the middle of the day (American time).

Say only every other song is from the randomizer and PRESTO... 60 in the queue... figure 3.5 minutes average per song and it's going to be 3.5 hours before you hear your request.

What you babies need to do is think these ideas fully through. Otherwise the world will collapse, Sarbear will start a webcam, baby Jesus will cry, the Belgians will lead the invasion that brings World War 3 and SST will seriously bite big honkin' bad things.

Tell you what! If you embryos want to diversify the playlist to include more of Jeric's collection then step up to the plate and start requesting some songs we haven't heard before.

If you find something good Jeric'll put a sticker on your homework.

Now hop to it. I've got Cal watching, and this time he's not wearing boxers.
Kristofke
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Confused

I listen to streamingsoundtracks allready for more then 1 year

Don't think that peoply only like things about streaminsoundtracks; like yesterday in the evening, some very nice slow soundtracks and then a big synthesizer soundtrack, that just doesn't really nice to listen to.

I just push the stop button, maybe some people would like a second station that has a constant mood for the whole evening.

Don't push my idea in the ground when you haven't even asked visitors about it.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, some tracks that end up in the queue are A1 stinko. I think everyone will agree to that.

And as for you claiming you've been around here for a year, that means you're either:

1. Someone who's been hanging around for as long as the oldtimers yet has never even bothered to register until you had this sudden list of suggestions.
2. Someone who logged on for 5 minutes a year ago, and recently became a more active member.
3. A liar.

Either way, I think you're stretching the truth a little....

Now! Onto your suggestion. Sure a sister station would be nice, but if you really were the old timer you claim to be then you'd know that Jeric periodically plays entire albums and has removed songs from the playlist because they "ruin the mood".

Sure it might be cool to have a sister station, maybe use a little bandwidth from our plethora of 24k's, but I have just one question. Do you have any idea how much time, money and effort it takes for Jeric to run this site?

Not to mention how hard it would be to program an AI that pays attention to the moods of the different tracks. Not to mention that playing only full albums 24/7 would be bound to piss some artists off no matter how legal it still is.

Good idea... but once again.. when you think it through it's not feasable.

Toodles. Smile
EyeDea
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 298

EyeDea is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail EyeDea's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ideas Kristofke, but i still somewhat disagree.

When i tune into listen to streamingsoundtracks, i dont tune into a radio station per say, but more of a sampling tool to hear all sorts of soundtracks to help make a decision of which to buy. I am the type of person that wants to hear a bit of a cd before i buy it, and this is the perfect place for me to hear soundtracks and decide if i want to buy them or not. And with the constant changing scope of the types soundtracks being played at any given time, it gives a nice variety to choose from.
I even listen at work and the changing mood actualy keeps me more active and awake, so thats a bonus.

And dont worry about cocles, just tell em he kant spwell good and you''ll be fine. Laughing
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to this station for over a year, but I'm on this forum since last week.

And that's because I didn't know there was a forum. I'm very enthousiastic about all this, so I didn't ignore all this forum stuff.

And about that full album problem. I didn't mean to play full albums of the same artist. I just mean the same mood, maybe the same artist (like John Williams has probably 20 soundtracks, so it's I think there's no problem with the law).

But don't get me wrong, I love streamingsoundtracks very much! Wink
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristofke & Edisman,

Those are great ideas and I enjoy getting feedback from a fresh perspective. However, the ideas mentioned are not feasible, at least at this time. And, you will find out why as you spend more time here.

Thank you for your input.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Trilobyte
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 58

Trilobyte is offline View user's profile Send private message Trilobyte's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
However, since I'm the one who usually leads the lynching, and you're new here, I'll cut you some slack.

Just a question, Cocles. If you are the one who usually leads the lynching, and your occupation is "troublemaker," how did you get to be a moderator? Wink
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a MODERATOR!?
gecko
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 14

gecko is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website gecko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Scariest freaking floating decapitated stone-like screaming head mod-thing on the board, Cocles. o_O
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: