StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Media Violence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:41 am   Post subject: Media Violence Reply with quote

I am soo bored so I was wondering what you all thought about my next topic. Please reply! So here we go… [Big Grin]

Some people, and some studies show that video game and movie violence is a problem in the world today. They say it desensitizes us, and makes us more prone to commit such acts ourselves. After those days when school shootings were all the rage angry parents and protester decided to attack video game creators along with Hollywood for turning their sweet children into monsters. They blamed everyone but themselves for what their kids did, or what the other kids did to their kids. [Eek!]

Now I am going to wait before I make my opinion on any of this. [Wink] But the fact is there has been studies that show movie, and game violence has an effect on humans. The more you are exposed to something the more normal it becomes, that’s just common sense.

I believe one of the high school shootings had a kid who walked in with a hand gun and began to make simple head shots at his victims. The kid had no previous training, except that he played video games. And it goes against all natural instinct to shoot once and go on to the next victim. Normally a shooter, cop or criminal, will shoot and follow their target to make sure the threat is gone, while doing this the shooter also moves and tries to hide and protect themselves. But the shooter at the high school just stood their, moving his arm in the dimension of a T.V. screen. Shooting each victim only once and not following them at all. [Frown]

Why did he do this? Well if you ever played games you know that you are safe, and that one shot to the bad guys head usually takes them out. Oh yeah, some military training is done with video games now.

So what are your thoughts? Is video games and Hollywood responsible? And if they are what should/could we do? So now its up for debate and I encourage everyone to share their piece.
[Cool]
esparvel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 116

esparvel is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website esparvel's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:18 pm   Post subject: Media Violence Reply with quote

I'm not going to enter to discuss about this subjetc but it's a coincidence that today I watched Bowling for Columbine, there facts, numbers and opinions about the matter are clearly exposed, and from my point of view all of them make sense.

Then again remember that I'm a decadent European who considers a nitwit's idea to chop a forest in order to prevent fires.
Ensign

Member#: 369

Yak E. Tory is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yak E. Tory's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooweee... since you're not discussing this subject, Esparvel, and since I'm sure the last thing everybody wants to read is another two-page rant from me, I'll keep this comment short:

Bowling for Columbine is an extremely well-assembled film. It is also, however, not objective, and definitely tainted. The facts that Mikey Moore paraded around the screen were carefully chosen, as is done by many successful documentary filmmakers; Moore also, however, threw an unbelievable slant over all of his truth-digging.

Quick example, Esparvel or anybody else who's seen it will remember: The establishing shot of Lockheed/Martin. Moore's subtitle is "World's Largest Weapons Maker." Untrue- Lockheed makes the rockets, not the bombs in the warheads; makes the planes, not the missiles they fire. But calling Lockheed the "World's Largest Aerospace Manufacturer" doesn't sound ominous and evil, so he skews the truth as much as he can and calls them a 'Weapons Maker.' Cause a weapons maker is just barely relevant enough to the issue of guns in the hands of children, and Moore is good enough at milking it to make it worth his time. To generalize, Moore isn't right; he just makes his wrong sound good.

One example out of many. Bowling for Columbine happened to harp on something I know just a little bit about. And as a matter of fact, it's only partially relevant to the case of media having an effect on youth violence, since that wasn't one of Moore's big points.

Then again, since we always extinguish the big forest fires we see, we actually have to do more logging to reduce the number of trees that would have otherwise been destroyed by fire naturally. I'm just not enough of a naturist to find all the stats and links.

--
but to get back to the original idea: What about the millions of kids who see Arnold Schwartzenegger movies, who play Mortal Kombat, and *don't* bring guns to school and shoot their classmates? Millions of kids get pissed at their teachers, get pissed at their fellow students, and get pissed at their parents every day, yet they don't flip out and try and kill them. One would think that maybe, then, it's something about the kid. And through that, something about the shitty parenting that never taught the kid that getting a gun and attacking a classmate is the absolute wrong thing.

it's easy to blame television, the movies and video games because it's the simplest connection to make- monkey see, monkey do, right? But just because it's the easiest connection to make doesn't mean it's the right one.

Damnit. Again, all efforts at brevity have failed.

<sulk>
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 243

Caray is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Caray's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Shall I pour oil on it ? Oh, well, why not.

One of the reasons those millions of kids do not bring guns at school may also be because they have no access to those guns ?

(See, short and likely to start another battle Very Happy )
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Caray that is not how you start things.... So I figured I'll lend a helping hand. First and foremost I want to make somthing clear to yak. I believe everyone is resposible for themself. So balming the media is dumb.

Okay so some folks would defend this bye saying that the media desensitizes you. TV and video games give things a fantasy feel. And the rarely show consequences. This helps persuade the select few already borderline crazy kids to do stupid things.

Okay so we know thousands of people watch violent movies, NEWS, and play video games. I was a huge fan of the Mortal Kombat world in my younger days. I along with many others have not gone into a school and tried to kill everyone, I never even tried to use Scorpions shadow attack. And I own quite a few guns Caray. But after I watched the Matrix I never went a grabbed them and started shooting everyone.

The people who make these cries to the media are only doing so because they are hurt. They either don't want to take responsibility for their kid's action. Or they lost one of their kids, and can't take in that THERE ARE crazy ass kids out in the world. The second group of people thinks that those kids wouldn't have gone crazy if it weren't for their exposure to bad video games they would have been normal. So they blame the MEDIA, and the parents for letting their kids play these games. (EVEN though their kids are playing them as well, and what they should look at is how some of those kids were treated while they were at school.)

So lets put us in the shoes of the grieving parent who lost their son or daughter. Or the depressed kid who lost his brother or sister because some punk came to school and shot them. What would we do??? We could say yeah well everyone watches violent movies, and other crap. *But does that mean its right or okay? It is only that small percentage that takes this stuff seriously and reenacts it. *But those small few just shot your family member, along with some of your friends. Damn them!

Okay so we know that crazy people are the problem now. They are those people who after watching the hit film "Natural Born Killers" 10 times went around and redid the scenes with more real effects. After they were arrested, what did they say? They were reenacting the movie "Natural Born Killers". (Lets leave reenacting to those southerners who love to reenact the Civil war every year, with fake bullets. They love loosing)

Back to the point. So should the world adjust itself and change because a select few make it harder for others. Because there is a small percentage that is unable to deal with life, so they go to schools and shoot people. Hell no. I just hope no crazy ass person hurts my friends or family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: