StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Who is your favorite composer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Who is your favorite composer?
David Arnold
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Klaus Badelt
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
John Barry
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Marc Beltrami
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Elmer Bernstein
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bruce Broughton
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Carter Burwell
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don Davis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
John Debney
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Patrick Doyle
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Randy Edelman
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Danny Elfman
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
George Fenton
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
John Frizzell
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Elliot Goldenthal
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Jerry Goldsmith
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Harry Gregson-Williams
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
James Horner
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
James Newton Howard
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Mark Isham
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Trevor Jones
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Michael Kamen
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Joseph LoDuca
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mark Mancina
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mark McKenzie
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Joel McNeely
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ennio Morricone
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
David Newman
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Randy Newman
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Thomas Newman
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Basil Poledouris
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Rachel Portman
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
John Powell
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Trevor Rabin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Graeme Revell
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Miklos Rozsa
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Marc Shaiman
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Howard Shore
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Alan Silvestri
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
John Williams
21%
 21%  [ 17 ]
Christopher Young
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Hans Zimmer
20%
 20%  [ 16 ]
Other
15%
 15%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 80

Zharnak
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 5084

Zharnak is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Zharnak's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to vote other as Christopher Franke wasn't listed. I can see exactly what's going on when I listen to his music. 'Course it helps that I've watched B5 from start to finish at least 8 times now. Other than that in it would be a really close call between :

Hans Zimmer
James Horner
Alan Silvestri
Howard Shore
Don Davis

Also throw in Guy(?) Gross from Farscape (especially from season 3 and on).

Last edited by Zharnak on Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patje
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 482

Patje is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Patje's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Newman is my number one composer. "Meet Joe Black" and "American Beauty" are two masterpieces.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 4984

circleprovider is offline View user's profile Send private message circleprovider's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As my tastes change almost daily, I'm not sure how long this will be true, but for now I too will have to vote for Hans Zimmer.

James Horner used to be my favorite until I found more and more of his soundtracks. He uses complete pieces of score in too many of his movies. That to me takes away the uniqueness of the film experience, and what was once a great film easily turns into just another movie.

And John Williams used to be big for me. Until I realized that every one of his soundtracks sounds like Star Wars. I actually had to have a friend point that out to me, but once I listened, I agree completely.

And who can forget Mr Danny Elfman. He is definitely a close second to my favorite. You just can't go wrong with him.
USA circleprovider
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

circleprovider is offline View user's profile Send private message circleprovider's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, as I'm listening, Howard Shore for Lord of the Rings. The music certainly made the movie. I think he did a most fantastic job, and I can only imagine how dificult a task it was to create such a unique score that fit the film the way that it did.
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

circleprovider wrote:

And John Williams used to be big for me. Until I realized that every one of his soundtracks sounds like Star Wars.

That's an interesting statement - would you like to elaborate? Do you mean the themes? His action music? The way he writes whole scores? Any examples?

I only ask because I've never really thought of Williams' music in that way - certainly there are similarities between some scores - but ALL sound like Star Wars?

Last edited by mellowman on Fri May 07, 2004 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Definite newbie comment. I admit to not being the biggest JW fan, just because of the overplay he gets. But I even think that is an arrogant and ignorant statement.

A.I., Schinlder’s List, Saving Private Ryan, Amistad, Angela's Ashes

Need I say more? Because I can, he's done a lot more than that and Star Wars.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA circleprovider
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie? Now that hurts. This was certainly one of my newer posts, but I've been on this site and listening to it's content for several months. I make sure that everyone knows of it.

Perhaps I have made the statement about John Williams a little too soon. Honestly I'm using my most recent experience for such judgemnt. Two classic examples are Hook and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Probably not the best scores that he's ever done, but it's where I first found the similarities. I always thought of Harry Potter and Hook's score to be made for that movie. So when I was first listening to the soundtracks, I could easily picture Harry Potter and Hook. Then I shared my audio stream with a colleague at work, and each track that would come up he would mention star wars, and sure enough the similarities were there.

I am planning on purchasing more of his work, so I will investigate further, and perhaps even write a 15-page essay along with sources for those who criticize my opinion. Seeing of course that only those who have been here for a great length of time will have any idea of what they're talking about. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

And I'm sorry, but any composer that creates a song like "Zam The Assassin and The Chase Through Coruscant" from Star Wars II - Attack of the Clones, could not compete with the others on that list.
USA circleprovider
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - this part sounded arrogant :

"I make sure that everyone knows of it."

I meant to say that I make sure that everyone I know adds this site to their list of stations.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks circleprovider. I didn't mean to imply that you were a newbie but just that the comment you made was something a newbie would say. I'm glad you plan on purchasing more of his. A good place to start is with the list I mentioned. Smile

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Circleprovider, every composer tends to have a certain style that runs throughout his/her body of work. Even the big names are not immune to that. Personally, I feel that James Horner is one of the most guilty composers... he reuses motifs on a regular basis and comes close to recycling themes every now and then. But sometimes he gets inspired and turns out a beautiful and original composition (such as "A Beautiful Mind").

And anyhow, "Zam the Assassin" may not be John Williams' finest composition, but it isn't as bad as you make it sound. Try to keep in mind that his Star Wars work is done for hire (as is all his film work - and some directors probably WANT and ASK him to do music that "sounds like Star Wars"). Have you ever listened to any of JW's non-film work? Varese Sarabande released a recording of his Violin Concerto and Flute Concerto back in the early 80s... it's quite modern, sometimes hard to listen to, yet at many points it's quite beautiful. Give it a try if you see it somewhere! Smile
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like John Williams scores either. Too many "soundeffects" tracks on the CD's. But he makes wonderful theme music that I love very much. That is why I bought this CD box. It contains all the good Williams theme's. The arent the original score ones, they are done by another orchestra, but just as good. I love this box.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointer on that box set, Cal... it looks great... and like a pretty good deal for the price.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

circleprovider wrote:
Newbie? Now that hurts. This was certainly one of my newer posts, but I've been on this site and listening to it's content for several months.

I don't care if you've been here for years. You're a newb until we say you're not.

You especially. Why? Because you sound like one.

Even when you're whining that you're not a newb you still sound like one, by saying that John Williams shouldn't be considered a great composer because you can name one bad track he did. You know what? We could probably all name one bad track from every composer.

Want some advice for not looking like a newb? Don't try to show off by bashing the masters and don't use Neo as your avatar.
USA circleprovider
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using Neo because Jeric was already using a Gladiator pic. For some reason I thought it'd be more respectful not to do the same ... not sure why I felt the need.

I also don't feel that I was "bashing" the masters, I was simply explaining why I felt that one stood over the other obvious choices. Each of the composers I have listed were at one point a favorite of mine. I'm sure that once I listen to more of Hans Zimmer I will eventually find similarities within Scores and it will bring him down to the likeness of the others.

Hurr78: I used to agree with you about James Horner and "A Beautiful Mind". Then I listened to "Bicentennial Man" also by James Horner. And I found that track 1. "Machine Age" was very similar to the main theme in "A Beautiful Mind". I've found this a lot with James Horner. I will like a particular piece of his from a movie, only to find that it was in a movie made a few years back. I also never thought about how the director might actually request the music from the composer. So I suppose I cannot really fault them in repeating works.

On a side note, I also noticed in a preview for "I, Robot" they used Don Davis' "Neodammerung" - {the track used during Neo vs. Smith - final battle}. I hope that they don't use the track in the movie.

Am I the only one that feels like the movie just isn't quite the same when scores are used in multiple movies?
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

circleprovider wrote:
I was using Neo because Jeric was already using a Gladiator pic. For some reason I thought it'd be more respectful not to do the same ... not sure why I felt the need.

I agree, that was respectful.

Quote:
I also don't feel that I was "bashing" the masters, I was simply explaining why I felt that one stood over the other obvious choices.

Oh yeah? How about:

Quote:
And I'm sorry, but any composer that creates a song like "Zam The Assassin and The Chase Through Coruscant" from Star Wars II - Attack of the Clones, could not compete with the others on that list.

Sounds like bashing to me numbskull. If you say something, at least have the balls to stand by it.

Quote:
On a side note, I also noticed in a preview for "I, Robot" they used Don Davis' "Neodammerung" - {the track used during Neo vs. Smith - final battle}. I hope that they don't use the track in the movie.

See, the problem is Circle, you show up on here and immediately start talking big. Then when Jeric points out a very newbish thing you said, you become offended and then say even more newbish things. Trailers for a film are often released before the films soundtrack is done. So they use soundtracks from other films.

Quote:
Am I the only one that feels like the movie just isn't quite the same when scores are used in multiple movies?

No, there are other numbskulls on here, but you tend to exagerate a lot more than they do. It's not the same score, it just sounds similar because it's by the same composer.

Directors, Actors and Screenwriters do the same thing. Picasso paintings all done around the same time look the same. So do the works of Monet and Van Gogh. Do you want to start telling me they're not very good either?

This whole, "For an artist to be good, each of their works must have ABSOLUTELY NO RESEMBLANCE with any of their previous work" is a bunch hogwash made up by wannabe soundtrack buffs like yourself.

I wish you soundtrack snobs would pull your noses down and realize that you're all a bunch of sods talking out of both sides of your mouth.

I hear you dorks say you like scores by Zimmer, Elfman, Horner, whoever...

The reason you can tell a score is by Zimmer, Elfman or Horner before you even look at what's playing is because you recognize the themes and tones those composers use throughout all of their work.

Then you come on here and bitch that they all sound alike.

Shut up. Stop trying to show off. And enjoy the music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: