StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Why isn't there an emphasis to add expanded scores?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
martydmc12
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 17166

martydmc12 is offline View user's profile Send private message martydmc12's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:39 pm   Post subject: Why isn't there an emphasis to add expanded scores? Reply with quote

As someone who's been rallying to get SST to update their database with the complete and expanded scores to Back to the Future Part II, and Back to the Future Part III before they go out-of-print, after casually browsing SST, I've noticed quite a few film scores that have had expanded and complete soundtracks released that SST never bothered to add.

I understand the financial reasoning behind not being able to add everything, but taking into consideration that I and so many consider SST the premiere movie soundtrack database, and that there are so many iconic film scores that both deserve and have received complete releases, I would think that making sure those titles would be added to SST would be a top priority, rather than some of the random and obscure film and video game soundtracks that go up instead.

Just to give you an idea of what I mean, here's a short list of complete and expanded scores that were given official releases, but SST never added.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Expanded Archival Collection)
The Abyss (The Deluxe Edition)
Back to the Future Part II
Back to the Future Part III (25th Anniversary The Deluxe Edition)
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Expanded Archival Collection)
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Braveheart (Expanded Score)
Cutthroat Island
Dances with Wolves (25th Anniversary Expanded Edition)
Empire of the Sun (Expanded Archival Collection)

I could go on, but I think you get my point.

Some of these are important and highly regarded film scores. And many of these expanded editions are now long out-of-print, which would make them much more expensive and harder to find.

Then you have something like A.I Artificial Intelligence. SST has two different scores in the database, neither of which are the full complete scores like the one La La Land Records released not too long ago. Wouldn't it make sense for SST to remove the two soundtracks already in the database, sell them on eBay or something, and use those funds to replace them with the full and complete expanded score instead? Same thing with Braveheart, and I'm sure so many more titles if I spent the time researching them all.

In this wonderful age of record labels like La La Land, Intrada and Varese Sarabande, for me it's been a godsend that companies like this exist, allowing film score buffs like myself are finally able to listen to the complete scores as they were originally recorded, is simply a dream come true. I'm just a little disappointed that SST would rather add stuff no one has ever heard of before trying to add complete scores from a lot of iconic films and classic film scores.

Last edited by martydmc12 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to get this out of the way first. It's "there," not "their."

You raise an interesting point, and I'm not sure what the answer is, if there's just one. But I'll try guessing anyway.

If a score is represented in the database, even if the album in question isn't complete, then I can see why adding something completely new might take priority, even if it's a little more obscure. Just because no one's heard of it doesn't mean it isn't any good. In fact, we may get some hidden gems that way. And some slosh, of course, but that's a risk.

I also wonder how good a complete score is in the context of a radio station where you can't just listen to the entire album. I own a couple of complete scores (Mask of the Phantasm!), and not all the tracks are always winners. Sometimes score is rearranged for listenability on an initial release, and that can be more enjoyable as music, especially if you're not familiar with the movie or the score.

I also doubt that selling initial release CDs on eBay would recoup the money expended on expansions.
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 17166

martydmc12 is offline View user's profile Send private message martydmc12's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my bad on the "their" and "there" thing. I wish I could blame it on autocorrect, but it's just my stupidity.

I think what bothers me the most, is seeing some scores like Danny Elfman's Batman and Batman Returns get the upgrade, but yet Mask of the Phantasm doesn't. I don't understand the thinking behind this. I know some record labels like Varese Sarabande sometimes donate new releases to SST, but taking Batman scores as an example, they were all La La Land releases. I'm can only assume La La Land didn't donate the Elfman scores, and were purchased by someone at SST. If that's the case, why opt out of Mask of the Phantasm?

As someone who owns a very large soundtrack collection, it's gotten to the point where I no longer even buy newly released stuff, and just hold out for the expanded stuff later down the road, as I'm constantly replacing the original releases with the expanded and complete soundtracks.

In regards to selling the older titles, it's something I've been doing myself. Even though a newly reissued soundtrack that contains the complete score, versus an older release with half or less of the entire score, sometimes they're still rare enough that they can fetch a good price. Maybe not enough to pay for a new release, but it's still money that would go into SST's bank. SST could set-up an eBay store, or just use the store they already have in place to sell older discs. I'm sure there are a lot of soundtrack collectors on here that might want to purchase some CDs.
Poland SSTEvents
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 33081

SSTEvents is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SSTEvents's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I brought this up already when talking in chat about that, but I believe you underestimate the financial factor.
Considering the fact that we barely manage to generate donations needed for our monthly costs there is NO room for extra purchases.
And even if so (there are revenues outside of the donation meter) then having already updated scores replaced by extended versions is not the priority.
Furthermore the expansion is not always an improvement, like LadyI already told.
And unfortunately there are many examples from that.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for several iconic scores but in that case why not donate the album yourself to SST so we can replace the existing one?
Caliburn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

People are welcome to donate the expanded albums though Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: