StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Soundtrack Songs & SST Film Knowledgeability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
martydmc12
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 17166

martydmc12 is offline View user's profile Send private message martydmc12's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:12 am   Post subject: Soundtrack Songs & SST Film Knowledgeability Reply with quote

(...)
First off, it's Streaming Soundtracks, not Streaming Scores, right?
(...)

I'm very very sorry marty! I unintentionally ruined your post Sad Clicked wrong button when trying to quote one sentence from you - molossus
Poland SSTEvents
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 33081

SSTEvents is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SSTEvents's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Radiostation has to determine it's key music and define the boundaries of what is and what is not broadcasted.
As in the early 20th century sound came to film, the music for this medium was based on classical music and evolved from there. In the 80's when big companies started to incorporate pop music in their businesses too it formed a platform for promoting songs as well. This means that movies can contain pop music in any means of importance to the movie.
However this will always stand off from the main score, just few exceptions that would fit.
This goes as well for the use of pre-recorded classical music.

Therefore there is actually a guideline to not include pop songs. Is this a hard rule, no, you're right about that. It's not maintained strictly. IMPO it should be but that would also leave out i.e. James Bond title themes that are pop songs albeit often composed by the original score composer.
I think there should be room for a few exceptions to the rule but it would not mean letting in popsong in general.
To name two examples that spring in mind now:
The song Marina from the same movie is sung by the protagonist in the movie and as popsong on the end credits and are both left out; although the film version should be allowed in. Same with Tsjaikowski's 1st Violin concert from the movie "le concert"
If songs are included is up to JERIC or BQ.
I usually make corrections if songs slip through.

Regarding your enthusiasm for adding pop songs from important iconic movies you'll probably be disappointed by this but maybe we can have them added to 80's FM
martydmc12
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 17166

martydmc12 is offline View user's profile Send private message martydmc12's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SSTEvents wrote:
Therefore there is actually a guideline to not include pop songs. Is this a hard rule, no, you're right about that. It's not maintained strictly. IMPO it should be but that would also leave out i.e. James Bond title themes that are pop songs albeit often composed by the original score composer.

If you're going that far, by not including the songs from a James Bond film, and you followed those rules strictly, then Streaming Soundtracks is not a soundtrack station, it's purely a classical music station.

Filmmakers and musicians sometimes go through a lot of hard work to pick or record that perfect song for a film. It's in there for a reason. To exclude them, purely because it's a pop song and not the classical orchestral score, IMHO, is the exact opposite of what a soundtrack station should be.
Poland SSTEvents

Member#: 33081

SSTEvents is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SSTEvents's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In my personal opinion? Yes, regarding the fact that filmscores are basically classical music, our main core is exactly that even giving room to folk influences, vocal tracks that are not pop songs and very few exceptions that fit in like e.g. the older Bond title songs.

I disagree on your other remark. It's not the filmmakers or musicians that decide what and how the source music (that's how it's called in the industry) is included. Primarily the executive producers do that when it's studio related. Sometimes a director wants some source music in too, often very much contrary to what the composer thinks of it.
But it's still the producers who decide.
And of course sometimes it will turn out alright but many a times it doesn't.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input martydmc12!

martydmc12 wrote:
First off, it's Streaming Soundtracks, not Streaming Scores, right?

The address of the website is Streamingsoundtracks, indeed.

But when you go a bit deeper you can realize sooner or later it's mainly "Streaming scores" radio. You can even read about it here: http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=About_SST

Quote:
StreamingSoundtracks.com broadcasts Movie Scores, TV Themes, Anime & Game Music

There are also old threads in our forums with pieces of info letting you know that SST has always been mainly a score station (for example here: http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4498)

Sure, we are not 100% strict dealing with songs in SST's library, we play vocals, pop songs etc. and you can probably find them in the Q every day, but it is rather an exception from the basic rule. Vocals and especially pop songs are not the mainstream of this station. Our main target - as far as I know - has always been to stream instrumental scores.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: