StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Random album/ Least played random album button

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Germany danleich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 37055

danleich is offline View user's profile Send private message View danleich's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:24 am   Post subject: Random album/ Least played random album button Reply with quote

I know, that we have a button to suggest a normal and a least played random track, especially the second really helps to get rid of the NUTs. Would it be possible to build up the same for albums, a button called "suggest a random album" and one to "suggest a least played random album". I think it would help to find more of the hidden gems we have on SST and if you see the whole album, you can also see, which tracks have been played the most, which usually are the best ones for the corresponding album. And as the least played random tracks helps with the NUTs, the same could go for the least played albums and the RATs. Any ideas/ comments on that?
Poland SSTEvents
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 33081

SSTEvents is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SSTEvents's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm even in favor of replacing the buttons for tracks for those for albums.
But it also means cleaning up a lot of albums that are not fit for broadcasting at all.
Historical growth of the database without concern what is put on has now created a mogul of least played albums that shouldn't have been there in the first place.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SSTEvents wrote:
Historical growth of the database without concern what is put on has now created a mogul of least played albums that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

First, kudos on the word "mogul." That made me smile.

But I think otherwise this statement is a little harsh. Are you suggesting that JERIC and BQ are exercising NO discretion when it comes to adding things? I know you aren't happy with the quality of recent adds, but this sounds like it might be taken as insulting.
Poland SSTEvents

Member#: 33081

SSTEvents is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SSTEvents's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually yes LadyI.
JERIC has acknowledged that in email to me and
'Quote': I know that what we get from Beth isn't the best sometimes but I'll leave it to let the members decide whether it's played or not'unquote'
He also expressed his concern that leaving out scores would also give comments.
I don't agree with him on that as we are leaving out already the better quality scores as we don't get them for plugging for various reasons nor we don't have the budget to purchase them ourselves.
The ones missing out from monthly updates are put in the forum by me.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

In other news, there was some chatter today in chat that the audio quality of this latest update doesn't sound up to snuff. Anybody know anything about that?
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

'Better quality scores' Hmm, I beg to disagree. People have different tastes and preferences and I think it's extremely difficult to come up with an objective metric for quality. For example, I quite enjoy the score for Sicario but also know that there are people who don't enjoy it. Does Sicario deserve to be in the SST playlist? In my opinion, yes. It's a very effective score that adds a lot of tension and atmosphere to the movie and it also has tracks that are exciting and memorable.

I appreciate the album lists mentioned above but I also reserve a right to propose albums to be added outside of those lists (and also donate them if JERIC agrees).

I'd be very careful about criticizing people willing to donate albums or enjoying other kinds of instrumental movie (and game and tv) scores than strictly orchestral ones similar to more classical movie scores at a time when SST really cannot afford to lose any active members or supporters.

Sincerely, GalFin
Germany danleich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 37055

danleich is offline View user's profile Send private message View danleich's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm even in favor of replacing the buttons for tracks for those for albums.

Just to be back on my original idea, I would not remove the track buttons, sometimes they work just fine for random track days. Plus you can always have another track suggested Wink The same could then be true about the random albums. I mean, if you see a horror movie score for example and don't like them, nobody forces you to actually request from it. But my experience tells me, even some of the horror scores have some nice or cool tracks. These may have been requested much more often than the whole rest of the album. That you could immediately see from the album view. And if you never try, you will never find out. Wink

Quote:
And as the least played random tracks helps with the NUTs, the same could go for the least played albums and the RATs. Any ideas/ comments on that?

Just a quick addition/ correction on my part. I think it might be hard to determine a least played album or (in case of averaged play time of the tracks), would be the same for some time. Therefore I think it would be better to rather have a button for albums, whose stars are not lit up, e.g. with less than ten ratings. It would make things way easier for RAT-hunters Smile
Finland GalFin
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day when people started NUT and RAT 'hunting', Sirius made this page:
http://nr.siriuscreations.nl/

It's still used although it requires manual maintenance.
UK Dragonel VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

danleich wrote:
Just a quick addition/ correction on my part. I think it might be hard to determine a least played album or (in case of averaged play time of the tracks), would be the same for some time. Therefore I think it would be better to rather have a button for albums, whose stars are not lit up, e.g. with less than ten ratings. It would make things way easier for RAT-hunters Smile

I'd suggest sorting the albums by using the last "played date" of any track on the album as the date the album was last played, then taking the oldest/earliest of those. Sounds a little complicated in English, but very easy in a database. That would bring up forgotten albums and selecting one track from it as a sample would remove it from the "least played" list .... although the requester & anyone else who likes what they hear can of course request more from it.

Maybe limit it to 1 year ago, so a really bad album is only selected at most once a year (which we should all be able to put up with Smile )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: