StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Setting up a new genre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Poland martino VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

aw

Member#: 24057

martino is offline View user's profile Send private message View martino's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 pm   Post subject: Setting up a new genre Reply with quote

I would be glad to see a new genre and that is Bollywood because of growing number of albums with Indian film music. I found the current list of genres (below) and we have Hindi Pop (?) with only 1 album assigned there (btw. one of A .R. Rahman's but I have no idea which one). I know it is quite a difficult technical topic, I found 2 old threads about genres:
http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4974&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=genre&start=0
http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2360&highlight=genre
but maybe that case wouldn't be so sophisticated.

Genre (numer of albums):
Soundtrack (10)
Anime (143)
Book (3)
Classical (2)
Game (672)
Hindi Pop (1)
New Age (7)
Patriotic (1)
Score (1)
Sound Clip (1)
Soundtrack (6210)
Soundtracks (1)
Sountrack (6)
Trailer (15)
Trailer Music (14)
World (1)
USA JadedTitan VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 19134

JadedTitan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View JadedTitan's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hindi Pop album is Vande Mataram because it isnt from a movie, just a studio album by Rahman. Though some of those genres shouldnt be in existence, score vs sountrack and trailer vs trailer music...thats a cleaning up issue. Thanks Martino for bringing this up. Would be a good idea for someone to fix these...
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested on the previous posts about this martino referenced (10 and 14 years back Smile ) I think we would need to split "Soundtracks" up, because by definition everything here fits in that category (or should). Personally I could see it being fairly easy to assign them by Television, Movie, Stage etc, or harder if you try to assign something like Horror, Action, Comedy, Drama, SciFi etc

But I'm sure the main issue is just the resources in making the changes. Is there a way I can help with something like this?
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 29607

Finnster is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Finnster's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to comment on a necro thread ... but what would the genre data accomplish? Also, with the amount of info already showing up in the Queue, there doesn't seem to be any room left for genre data.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnster wrote:
Not to comment on a necro thread ... but what would the genre data accomplish? Also, with the amount of info already showing up in the Queue, there doesn't seem to be any room left for genre data.

Genre data already shows up on your Favorites, so tracks say "Murray Gold, Soundtrack", "John Williams Soundtrack" "Nobuo Uematsu Game" etc. You can also sort by Genre by clicking on the heading.
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the whole point (which has been discussed before in the threads martino linked) is that for a Soundtrack station, the genre classification is pretty pointless if the vast majority of the albums in the playlist are categorized as 'Soundtrack'.

The admins have already commented that the genre tag is automatically populated when the album is ripped to the playlist, so it would require a lot of manual effort to change this for the more than 6,000 albums in the playlist. Everyone seems to like the idea of more descriptive genres, but the effort doesn't seem worth it.

Mr. Green
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 28769

Akula is offline View user's profile Send private message Akula's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Luther. After all, this is: 'StreamingSoundtracks.com'.
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 57

Morg is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Morg's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III wrote:
I think the whole point (which has been discussed before in the threads martino linked) is that for a Soundtrack station, the genre classification is pretty pointless if the vast majority of the albums in the playlist are categorized as 'Soundtrack'.

The admins have already commented that the genre tag is automatically populated when the album is ripped to the playlist, so it would require a lot of manual effort to change this for the more than 6,000 albums in the playlist. Everyone seems to like the idea of more descriptive genres, but the effort doesn't seem worth it.

Mr. Green

Shhhhh.....with you and your logic and what have you Razz Razz
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 51532

trainedpride is offline View user's profile Send private message trainedpride's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Without being derived from a film, Rahman's studio album simply titled "Vande Mataram" is the Hindi Pop album in question. While there should be no such things as score versus soundtrack or trailer vs trailer music, that's a matter for the cleaners. Many thanks to Martino for bringing this to my attention. If someone could repair these, it would be much appreciated.

removed tiny font spam - molossus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: