StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Pump up the Volume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic 
fatherj
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 2016

fatherj is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail fatherj's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:31 pm   Post subject: Pump up the Volume Reply with quote

I was wondering if you would be willing to add the Pump up the Volume soundtrack?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002O8M/qid=1055787972/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-7922056-1976763?v=glance&s=music

Thank you.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah...it's all Top 40 kind of stuff.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

We play 95% score soundtracks here.

Please check out my faq over in the FAQ section or at the top of the "Community" section of the forum.
fatherj
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 2016

fatherj is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail fatherj's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be rude or a pain, but the general policy held by this site doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

First, the name of the site is streamingsoundtracks.com, not streamingscores.com or something else along those lines.

Second, even a soundtrack as unscorish as Pump up the Volume is a soundtrack, which, by my estimation, should qualify it for this site, since this is streamingsoundtracks.com and not streamingscores.com.

Third, I read the debate over game music, and the general reason why it is acceptable is that it might cause someone to come to fully appreciate scores and other music of higher quality. If the true intention behind allowing some of the annoying game songs is the hope of converting the gamer to a score lover, then the same ought to be true for the "top 40" songs on the legions of soundtracks that are not offered on this site. The end result would be the same, and it would probably cause more people to join and listen to the streaming audio. I say this because the person who introduced me to this site no longer listens because there is very rarely a song that he can sing along to. I would be willing to bet that more people would listen in if there were more variety as well.

Once again, I'm not trying to start anything, but rather point out, what I perceive as, a conflict in intentions. I realize that the majority of the people who listen to this stream truly enjoy scores, as do I, but I'm pretty sure that they would enjoy the random top 40 songs every now and again. I may be wrong, but what if I'm not?

Normally, I wouldn't question the way things are, but I feel fairly strong about this. Despite the fact that many soundtracks contain primarily top 40 songs, I still feel that they are worthy of streaming. In fact, many soundtracks offer songs that the normal person may have never heard before. This might be because there is that one random song from a band or group that nobody has ever heard of. This practice is common on soundtracks, which means that there are some songs that are definitely not top 40. By offering these soundtracks for everyone to listen to, you might be introducing someone to a new group that they would never have heard otherwise.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating adding crap like the Glitter soundtrack. Instead, I suggest that soundtracks be added for their merit, which could be determined by the quantity of little known songs that are offered. This would help eliminate the influx of top 40 hits, while still preserving an environment conducive to the score listening crowd. In fact, if this is possible, the top 40 songs could have a 48 or 72 hour no repeat time period.

These are my observations and suggestions. Once again, I do not wish to cause trouble.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason this site's policy makes no sense to you is because you're a newb who hasn't stuck around long enough to pick up this site's vibe and what it's all about.

For someone who claims to have read up a little on this site, including the video game debate, it's ironic that you obviously haven't bothered to look at the FAQ yet where some of these issues are already addressed.

This place is called streamingsoundtracks because we do indeed have more than just scores here, but our policy remains that the scores constitute the vast majority of the playlist.

Why?

Because Jeric says so, that's why.

Had you bothered to also read the "about" link, which would have been another good place to research the reasons behind our policies you would see that this site was created by Jeric so he could listen to his favorite music at work.

SST in essence is Jeric generously allowing us to listen in on his own private broadcast. He goes further by even allowing us to control that broadcast through requests.

The mission of this station is not to seek out new off-beat songs nobody has heard before. There are already hundreds of stations for that. Soundtracks are listened to for the nostlagia. When we hear them we remember our favorite films in more vivid detail. Perhaps even what was going on in our lives when we first saw that film.

I have to wonder how you can be so sure of what our listeners prefer when you have just gotten here yourself. Instead of showing up out of the blue and immediately suggesting changes, perhaps you should first find out who the real regulars are what it is they really prefer. As for your friend, I am sorry he can not sing along... but might I suggest humming?
Dartagnan
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 291

Dartagnan is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dartagnan's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here for scores! Not for commercial CD wich are sold before the movie is on screens!

Rare are the soundtracks (I mean the kind of sountrack mentionned before) wich are reflected as well the movie and most of the time there is only one "song" that can be picked.

For exemple... I would give big classics like Dirty Dancing or Top Gun etc... Most of the time, old movies and not songs that are noisy even in the movie Very Happy

PS: However I must admit that I was suprised by the rock album of Dare Devil! The tracks are not all good, but there are some good surprises like Evanescence!
But anyway, that not the type of music I would hear here!
Van
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 255

Van is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Van's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I agree with Cocles on this one. I've seen a lot of people suggest soundtracks containing pop music. This is definitely not a site for that, we can listen to regular radio for that. The reason I love this site is because it is the only place I can find this type of music. If I wanted other types of music, I would just turn on the radio.

I'm also a big movie buff and Cocles hit the nail right on the head. Listening to the Last of the Mohicans soundtrack always makes me think of the scenes in the movie, not to mention countless others. In all honesty, it is up to Jeric what he wants to do with the site. Since he isn't charging, you shouldn't complain when things don't go exactly the way you want it. I've said a few things before and got yelled at and called a newb. I've been here for over a year at least, but I'm not that active. You don't see me complaining about it.

-- Van
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: