StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What book are you reading right now?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:28 pm   Post subject: What book are you reading right now? Reply with quote

Or what book have you just read?

There doesn't seem to have been a book thread for a while so I hope you guys don't mind me starting one.

I've just finished reading Prey by Michael Crichton.

I seem to remember someone here saying it wasn't very good but I thought it was brilliant. A real page turner and as usual a heady blnd of apparently well researched science.
The essential premise of the book is that a swarm of nano probes have escaped from a desert research centre and have developed a joint intelligence hell bent on devouring humans. I loved it - mysterious and scary: I think it would make a great film.
TryHarder5
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 13832

TryHarder5 is offline View user's profile Send private message TryHarder5's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why, but at the moment I don't find the time to read a good old book. So at the moment I read the German economical newspaper "Handelsblatt".
OptimisprimalX
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 13611

OptimisprimalX is offline View user's profile Send private message OptimisprimalX's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellowman, I love Michael Crichton books because of the excellent research he puts into each one.

I haven't started it yet, but the next book on my list is Wicked, the book that the musical is based off of. I'm obsessed with the musical, so I figured I should read the book.
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice topic mellowman Smile

I'm currently reading Polgara the Sorceress by David & Leigh Eddings. Not exactly a well written book but still enjoyable if you like light fantasy.

My next book on the list is Night on the Galactic Railroad by Miyazawa Kenji. And I'm pretty sure I'll love this one!
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8715

Arya is offline View user's profile Send private message View Arya's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett...I kick myself that I didn't read it earlier. It's priceless, especially because I'm a science student with friends in physics. This guy completely warps science and magic together, I love it Very Happy
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

finishing up Chariots of the Gods by Erich Von Daniken
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:51 pm   Post subject: Re: What book are you reading right now? Reply with quote

mellowman wrote:
There doesn't seem to have been a book thread for a while so I hope you guys don't mind me starting one.

mind? MIND??? why would I mind if it allows me to say this about our store:

Shop at Gramma Queenie's Used Books!! We ship within the United States and Internationally via USPS. Creditcards and Paypal accepted Smile

You can search our vast inventory through our Amazon zShop! Visit our site by clicking on the image below!

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread currently in progress... Wink

mellowman wrote:
I've just finished reading Prey by Michael Crichton.

I have heard alot of good things about this title. It's one I haven't read yet, but it is certainly on my list. Michael Crichton is a good "fluff" author imo. His research is good and plausable but he tends to twist it to fit the plotline of the story. That aside, he is definately entertaining.

Arya wrote:
I've got The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett...I kick myself that I didn't read it earlier. It's priceless, especially because I'm a science student with friends in physics. This guy completely warps science and magic together, I love it Very Happy

YAY Discworld! Very Happy Very Happy I love the Discworld series! They are always fun stories to read when you need a pick-me-up! Pratchets political comments are wonderful as well. If you love Douglas Adams, you will adore Terry Pratchet. I also recommend Good Omens by Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman... it isn't set in Discworld though. It's about the Apocolypse and the Second Coming.

I just finished reading Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchet. I started reading them recently... when I met Peach. She has the whole series but is missing the three most recent. But one of the benefits of having a bookstore is I get to read them as they come in... and before they go on the shelf! Wink

Right now I'm reading a couple of books. One is the Star Wars: Essetial Guide to Vehicles and Starships. I'm just trying to brush up on my SW geekiness. The other is Eragon by Christopher Paolini, but I'm having a hard time getting into the story so far... so lately I've been reading my fallback choices: Ranks of Bronze by David Drake and my G.I. Joe and Transformers comicbooks from my collection.

Did I mention that I read alot? Very Happy

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)

Last edited by genericdragon on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA Furyen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 196

Furyen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Furyen's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, right now I'm catching up on some reading in the Historcal-Fiction area, namely "The Last Full Measure" written by Jeff Shaara *son of Michael Shaara, author of The Killer Angels*. Also I've been re-reading all my Indiana Jones Novel book series by authors Max McCoy, Rob MacGregor, and Martian Caidan. 12 novels in total, furthering the adventures of Herr Jones from 1923 to 1934. Heres some links:

http://www.indyfan.com/novels/allnovels.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553289314/qid=1143179832/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/102-0620147-5415302?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

This is a good thread. Now keep adding to it people....Schnell!!!

Norway Muriel VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a copy of "Angels and demons" by Dan Brown when I visited my parents last weekend, so I 'stole' it and are reading it in my bed every night.
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemist wrote:
I'm currently reading Polgara the Sorceress by David & Leigh Eddings. Not exactly a well written book but still enjoyable if you like light fantasy.

Wow Alchemist! I love David Eddings! I've read all his series more times that I can count, as well as Polgara the Sorceress. I do hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

I'm currently reading Fellowship of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein. This is my 3rd attempt to get past the first chapter (stupid school). So far so good! Very Happy
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10921

workervr is offline View user's profile Send private message View workervr's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. A little dry, but interesting. I would recommend it. I just got done re-reading the lonesome dove series by Larry McMurtry. He is the guy that did the screenplay for Brokeback mountian. Very very good. It won the Pulitizer Prize in 1986 for fiction, and although it is classified as a western it is far above the general genre!
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 440

FrozenHan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View FrozenHan's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

currently The Aeneid - Vergil

Obi-son wrote:
finishing up Chariots of the Gods by Erich Von Daniken

I went to a lecture by him a couple years ago in Chicago, got my copy of "Chairiots.." signed by him

He's behind this wild themepark in Switzerland
http://www.mysterypark.ch/index.php?id=20&L=1
http://www.mysterypark.ch/index.php?id=39&L=1
We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

--Tyler Durden

Last edited by FrozenHan on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
FrozenHan
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 440

FrozenHan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View FrozenHan's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

lecture by Von Daniken, not Vergil hehe
We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

--Tyler Durden
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took Parachute Infantry : An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich by David K Webster

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385336497/sr=8-1/qid=1143214649/ref=sr_1_1/104-0274453-4039112?%5Fencoding=UTF8

and now I'm reading Secret Soldiers: The Story of World War II's Heroic Army of Deception by Philip Gerard

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0525946640/qid=1143214724/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-0274453-4039112?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I tend to get a bunch of books from the same shelf when I go to the library.

jeff
sdg
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Memoirs of Dmitri Shostakovich", distributed by Solomon Wolkow!
(More info here: http://www.cosmopolis.ch/english/cosmo14/shostakovich.htm)

It's not so easy to read, but it demonstrates a clear picture of the times and circumstances Shostakovich had to went through.
This also gives you a new point of view regarding his music.
Especially the works he wrote to "charm" the Stalin "cooperation".
If you didn't realise the irony in his music already, this book helps you understand it.
And it's also a very interesting biography.

Dmitri Shostakovich, a real genius with a fotographic memory, was one of the most important composers of the 20th century,
not to forget it's his 100th birthday this year.
(Sadly a little neglected fact because of the MOZART-year...)

My only two suggestions:
1) LISTEN TO HIS MUSIC
and then 2) READ THE BOOK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 1 of 54

Jump to: