StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Bear McCreary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Composers
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, Bear and Rya got married last month!
http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4617#more-4617

(That explains why she shows up so much in his work.)
Captain
Captain

Member#: 20035

cinemediapromo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail cinemediapromo's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:13 pm   Post subject: The Cape/Bear McCreary Reply with quote

Visit the links below to hear a sneak peek of the theme music for The Cape, composed by Bear McCreary. The Cape premieres this Sunday on NBC.

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/
http://www.nbc.com/the-cape/video/scoring-the-cape/1268482
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow! BSG music for the piano!
http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=6203#more-6203

I know, it looks like I'm just creating links to Bear's blog, but I thought this might be worth the attention of some of his fans who don't read it regularly. That is, of course, if that actually describes anyone.

Anyway. Makes me wish I hadn't stopped playing piano. Or had a piano.
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

On MSNBC today:

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/01/6385237-battlestar-composer-aims-for-holy-grail-of-game-music-in-socom-4
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Received this press release and wanted to share it.

BEAR MCCREARY ANNOUNCES SLATE OF SUMMER RELEASES AND APPEARANCES

Summer Projects Include Play for Japan, World Premiere Performances in Spain, and New Audio and Video Recordings

(Los Angeles, CA – June 2, 2011) Composer Bear McCreary (The Walking Dead, The Cape, Battlestar Galactica) thinks globally with his summer vacation. McCreary has contributed a new track to the Play For Japan benefit album, is conducting two performances of his music at the 7th International Film Music Festival Ciudad de Úbeda, and will see several soundtracks released. In addition, twice a month McCreary is uploading videos of him playing piano arrangements of his music from Battlestar Galactica, to a newly launched Youtube channel.

Following the recent earthquake, tsunami and its aftermath, composer Akira Yamaoka reached out to the video game community and put together the Play for Japan album. The album, which will be released on June 6th, will benefit the Japanese Red Cross. Bear McCreary contributed the original track, Maverick Regeneration.

Said McCreary, “It's using a lot of the 8-bit sounds that I used in Dark Void Zero, and then I evolve them over the course of the track into the sound in contemporary gaming. In many ways the track is an homage to the 8-bit Nintendo era, but it also takes those sounds and brings them into the contemporary era of video game music.”

On July 21st, as part of the 7th International Film Music Festival Ciudad de Úbeda, Bear will be conducting two performances of his works, including an hour-long intimate chamber recital featuring world premiere arrangements of music from The Walking Dead, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Caprica, and Battlestar Galactica.

Two days later, on July 23rd, he will be conducting the Philharmonic Orchestra of Málaga boasting a world premiere concert suite of his Emmy™-nominated score for Human Target along with selections from The Cape and Dark Void. McCreary, who earned the festival’s Goldspirit Award for Best Television Score Human Target, will also be conducting a Film Scoring Workshop for festival attendees.

“This concert will be the first time I’ve ever performed the score from many of these projects,” said McCreary, “including the full-orchestral Human Target suite. Narrowing the scores down to my favorite selections is proving quite challenging!”

This summer will also see the release of several soundtracks for McCreary. First off SOCOM 4, which was released digitally in April and a special limited edition two-CD set released in May. Later this summer the soundtrack for THE CAPE will also be released.

Because SOCOM 4 is set in Asia, Bear had an expanded palate of instruments to choose from. “The vast array of instruments at my disposal left me with an embarrassment of riches as I first began composing.” McCreary described, “The gamelan orchestra was the most exciting to me personally, since I’d never written for it before. However, I also relied on the ethnic strings and woodwinds for my melodic writing. The arsenal of taiko drums alone could fill an action cue with energy.”

He continued, “But I also had a full symphonic orchestra at my disposal, which couldn’t be ignored. And simultaneously, the electric soloists and custom electronics gave me an entirely different musical toolbox to draw from.”

While SOCOM 4 gave McCreary a wide range of sounds to use, another of his endeavors involved stripping it all down. McCreary revisited Battlestar Galactica and recently released the Battlestar Galactica Piano Music Book for Hal Leonard Publishing. To celebrate its release, McCreary created a Youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/bearmccreary) and twice a month throughout the summer will be uploading videos of him performing these works on the piano. He is inviting his fans to do the same, and will be giving out autographed memorabilia to creators of his favorite videos at the end of the summer.

“Thanks to vocal fan support, the piano music book of my Battlestar Galactica score is finally available,” said McCreary. “So many fans have filmed their own performances of my music, I wanted to do the same.”

Bear McCreary was among a handful of select protégés of late film music legend Elmer Bernstein and is a classically trained composer with degrees in Composition and Recording Arts from the prestigious USC Thornton School of Music. McCreary's unique combination of atypical instrumental background (he is a professional accordionist) with rigorous classical training prepared him to compose in disparate genres.

This versatility is evident in the body of work McCreary has created including this year’s surprise hit The Walking Dead, Human Target (for which McCreary earned his first Emmy nomination), The Cape, Eureka, the film the Touchstone Pictures film Step Up 3D, and the SOCOM 4 and Dark Void videogames.

At the age of 24, Bear McCreary was launched into pop culture with his score for Battlestar Galactica, "the most innovative music on TV today" (Variety). Io9.com declared Bear McCreary one of the Ten Best Science Fiction Composers of all time, the only composer under 50 on the list (he is in his early 30s), and the only one recognized for his work in television.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great video of Bear playing "Prelude to War" all by himself -- on the accordion.

Wow. And I'm not being ironic. My dad plays one of these things.
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Our friends of MainTitles.Net were at the Ubeda festival last year and met Bear. They gave him a MainTitles kazoo and make him honorary member for this festival.

He replied he would use it somewhere in the Walking Dead Season 2 score. Here he is talking about that.

(Those who whent to the World Soundtracks Awards last year, maybe will recognize some of the Maintitles members you se in this video)
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know, Bear arranged a suite of tracks from his BSG score for piano. He also called fans out to post videos of them playing his stuff on YouTube. The winners of his Piano Book Fan Performance Awards can be found here: http://www.bearmccreary.com/#blog/battlestar-galactica-3/bsg-piano-book-fan-performances-awards/

They include this, "Kara Remembers" played on 5 disk drives.

There's an acapella version of "All Along the Watchtower" which also impresses, though that wasn't in the book. I myself own a copy of the piano book. I've faked my way through a couple of the selections. Suffice to say my playing is not what it was 15 years ago.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can hear this piano album on AFM
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across this piece of news about Bear McCreary. Sorry if it has been mentioned elsewhere.

Bear has started his own record label to release soundtracks (primarily his own) called Sparks and Shadows. You can read about it here.

The first releases are going to be: Defiance – TV Series and Video Game, Da Vinci’s Demons and Europa Report.

Sounds exciting to me - not least of which becuase Bear has said that he was a collector before he became a composer. He says he wants to 'push the boundaries further' and hopefully this can only be good for soundtrack fans.
USA JadedTitan VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 19134

JadedTitan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View JadedTitan's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear to composer for the new Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. show Smile

EW News
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear McCreary is scoring the AVGN movie, due end of 2013 / early 2014.

Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angry_Video_Game_Nerd:_The_Movie

Quote:
Bear McCreary, the composer for Battlestar Galactica and The Walking Dead, will compose the score for the film, having previously worked with Rolfe scoring the 2010 AVGN Christmas Special How The Nerd Stole Christmas. McCreary plans to incorporate elements of Kyle Justin's original AVGN Theme into the score, as well as create a new theme for the Nerd inspired by "The Raiders March".

Here's a little video about their collaboration...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I reviewed his latest score of the game God of War!

https://soundtrackworld.com/2018/04/god-of-war-bear-mccreary/
Poland martino VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

aw

Member#: 24057

martino is offline View user's profile Send private message View martino's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree with your opinion, cal. God of War is a brilliant album, so I ordered it.
USA MojoPin VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4569

MojoPin is offline View user's profile Send private message View MojoPin's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear McCreary Rocks the Hurdy Gurdy

(bonus feature from Score: A Film Music Documentary)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Composers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: