StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$127.58

7 Donations:
$372.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Best Action Score Of All Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 

What is The Best Action Score Of All Time?
King Kong (1933) - Max Steiner
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ben-Hur (1959) - Miklós Rózsa
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Recall (1990) - Jerry Goldsmith
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Conan the Barbarian (1982) - Basil Poledouris
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Aliens (1986) - James Horner
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Predator (1987) - Alan Silvestri
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Batman (1989) - Danny Elfman
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Terminator 2 (1991) - Brad Fiedel
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Rock (1996) - Harry Gregson-Williams & Nick Glennie-Smith
24%
 24%  [ 11 ]
The Matrix (1999) - Don Davis
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
other
31%
 31%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 45

Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Other: Gladiator
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 16

Wolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Wolf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Other: Gladiator for me too. This soundtrack just rocks!

Speaking of "rock"... I thought the soundtrack from The Rock was from Zimmer... Maybe I am wrong...
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3465

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf wrote:
Other: Gladiator for me too. This soundtrack just rocks!

Speaking of "rock"... I thought the soundtrack from The Rock was from Zimmer... Maybe I am wrong...

You're not wrong. He composed about 2 or 3 themes - but the major work was done by Media Ventures colleagues Nick Glennie-Smith, Harry Gregson-Williams, and, if I remember correctly, Don Harper and Steve Stern.
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the ones listed, my favorite is probably Conan the Barbarian.
USA Maeltne
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 6602

Maeltne is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Maeltne's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went with the ones listed, too... if I went with 'other' Star Wars IV-VI, of course!

You know you had your under-roos on the outside of your sweats and cardboard cores coloured as lightsabers, too! Laughing

Love ya!
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2617

GrooveMerchant is offline View user's profile Send private message GrooveMerchant's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta put another one in for Conan, it just works the best as an action score. Gladiators good too, it'd probably be second on my list.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Total Recall. You guys have a strong case for Conan, but I'm personally biased toward Jerry Goldsmith. I think his score really brought an extra dimension to some of the performances... especially Michael Ironside's. Sometimes the music just gives him an edge of sneering, seething rage.
USA Andres
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 331

Andres is offline View user's profile Send private message View Andres's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

So those of you who picked Conan--what would you say is the great 'action' cue on that score?

I love the score, but to me it seems a bit laid back for an 'action' score.
GrooveMerchant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

GrooveMerchant is offline View user's profile Send private message GrooveMerchant's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Laid back? Are we listening to the same score here? It's full of great powerful cues, particulary track 2, Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom and track 11 Battle of the mounds. Not to mention the main theme Anvil of Crom, love that menacing low brass sound.
I thought it was the perfect action score, at least in my opinion. Anybody wanna help back me up on this?
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully concur with the three tracks GrooveMerchant mentioned. It might not be the modern techno action music you hear, but those tracks have balls, pure and simple.
Blue
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 472

Blue is offline View user's profile Send private message View Blue's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't really classify Ben-Hur as an action film, although it certainly has its action moments (the chariot race and the battle scene). Ben-Hur is just simply the best film of all time and has a little bit of everything for everybody.

If I could add an "other" score to the poll, I would add "North by Northwest" which a brilliant example of a minimalistic action score. And I'm kind of surprised that nobody has brought up any of the Bond scores.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with you on the North by Northwest issue. Even today, the opening title is very striking. And Bernard Herrmann gives us a great love theme to boot.

Did you know that the censors had a lot of objections to North by Northwest back in '59? Apparently, one of the things that made their list was that they found Martin Landau's evil henchman character "Leonard" to be too effeminate.
USA Andres
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 331

Andres is offline View user's profile Send private message View Andres's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

GrooveM and Cocles--that's just it, 'balls' and 'powerful' are not the same as having a feeling of 'action'. Don't mistake my meaning--I think the Conan score is very powerful and dramatic, but the tracks mentioned aren't fast-paced and obviously about "action" in the way of, say, the asteroid sequence in ESB, or 'the Raisuli Attacks' in the "Wind and the Lion", or various tracks in "Total Recall".

Obviously in this context "action score" means a score from an 'action' movie. I'm not complaining about your choice, just curious about the difference in the way we see 'action music'.
GrooveMerchant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

AIM Address
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa there cowboy..... I don't think that speed is what an action score is necessarily all about. Sure it's often a great way to add a feeling of anxiety or urgency during something like a chase sequence, such as with the asteroid scene from ESB that you mentioned. However, that's not all an action score is about. Have you listened to Rider's of Doom from Conan? Granted it's not as quick as The Asteroid field, since it doesn't rely on busy stringwork, but can you honestly listen to that and tell me that's not fast-paced? It's plenty fast and uses more heavy brass and powerful vocals to kick it up a notch. When compared to something like the Asteroid field I think it even has more of a sense of action because of those very elements.

Don't get me wrong though, ya gotta love ESB, good times right there.
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A definition of the word action:

Habitual or vigorous activity

I think that sums up what I took as the meaning of this thread - music that accompanies films where the visual content is of a more than pedestrian pace. I think Conan fits the bill both musically and pictorally.

By it's very nature most action music must surely be both powerful and have balls but, as Groove says, action music doesn't have to be fast-paced even if the visuals it accompanies are. I'm thinking now about John Williams very powerful music to the final light sabre dule between Vader and Luke: it was powerful and majestic but it certainly wasn't fast paced.

I guess that could be a whole new thread: the best high-tempo score?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: