StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$127.58

7 Donations:
$372.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Super Size Me! (And Michael Moore)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 

How many times per week do you eat fast food?
Never! I don't put that crap in my body!
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Once or twice per week
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Three or four times per week
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Daily or more
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a funny thread... great work hurr and cocles... Smile

Anyways, I hated the whole idea of this movie, on a side note, the onion this week had a head line that said "Micheal Moore kicking self for not filming last 600 trips to mcdonalds."

And the reason I hate this whole idea of a movie is because it rules out peoples choice. That retard choose to eat everyday at mcdonalds... Great one genius, its awesom that you prostitute your health to make a few bucks of a movie. Personally if I was to prostitute myself infront of national T.V. I'd go on big brother.

Anyways, crap films like this cause stupid attention on dumb americans... They sit back and say, oh lordy look at that we need to get stricter regulations on the food industry, we need to hold people by the hand so that they stop their fat ass from eating...Films like this rule out PERSONAL RESPOSIBILITY. And I fear and worry about people who enjoy these films for what ever reasons... It makes me think that they too are one of those people who can't fess up and say, I'd did this to myself, I set the market, I can fix this.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixie put it very well to me when she said that "Super Size Me!" is nothing more than a glorified episode of "Jackass".

Perhaps Johnny Knoxville should have done all of his stunts in the name of "science" too?

And Lego, great point.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hear that Morgan Spurlock used to have a show on MTV... and that he already has a contract for a reality show where somebody drastically changes their lifestyle for 30 days.

And I agree with you, Lego. Many of the problems that people have in this world could quickly be improved if they just picked themselves up and did something about it. Yet for some reason, so many people just don't seem to be able to help themselves. It's sad.
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing this interesting thread, I've heard today that Moore intends to follow up Fahrenheit 9/11 with a film on the role the British PM played in the war in Iraq: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3800665.stm

cocles wrote:
Perhaps people where you are aren't so easily duped. But where I am, I find myself surrounded by people who worship this guy and hang on his every word. They see him as a veritable messiah and a fighter for the people.

I agree with you cocles. It seems to me, from what I've heard about this guy's work, that he incites people in the same way that the tabloid press do in the UK.

We have a newspaper called The Sun and I remember them running a campaign many years ago to get Tony Blair (British Prime Minister for those who don't know) into power and low and behold the voters turned out in their thousands. Now, I'm not saying that Blair wouldn't be PM if it wasn't for the papers, but I think they play a huge and frightening part in duping the psyche of people.

That's my concern with people like Michael Moore. Too many people listen, too many people are duped and too many people are willing to have their minds made up for them without first checking out the facts for themselves.

Scary.

By the way, Hurr, by people I am speaking in a general sense Wink
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

mellowman wrote:
Continuing this interesting thread, I've heard today that Moore intends to follow up Fahrenheit 9/11 with a film on the role the British PM played in the war in Iraq: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3800665.stm

Interesting news, Mellowman. I guess it's up to you to get out there and to educate the British public about Moore's manipulative ways.

mellowman wrote:
By the way, Hurr, by people I am speaking in a general sense Wink

Ok. I'll call off my attack dogs. Wink
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Lego, I agree with you that personal responsibility is a VERY important part of losing weight, but a person's environment can provide temptations and barriers that make it more difficult.

For example, if you're living in a neighborhood with no grocery stores with fresh produce, are you gonna travel to the other side of town to get some fruits and veggies? Probably not unless you have time and transportation to do that. And if fast food is cheap and close-by, it's easy to slip up on eating healthy unless you have a lot of willpower.

The convenience of fast food/junk food combined with all the massive amounts of money spent on advertising create a cultural environment where it is acceptable in the U.S. to eat it often. Of course individuals can resist the temptations, but it is difficult for many.

Peter Jennings did an ABC TV special report on obesity that investigated agricultural policies and food industry influence over what foods are made cheaply available to Americans. The food industry lobbyists tripped all over themselves to attack it, which means it did its job.
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I love French Fries and Filet-O-Fishes, but recently I started enjoying all of McD's new salads (Do I can any money for mentioning their products?) I need to drop a few belly pounds.

They is damn good. My kids can eat the junk while I eat the greens. Not much chance of my kids becoming obese, in fact they need a few pounds.

Yeah yeah trans-fatty blah blah blah. Shutup!

Smile
Pixie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

zirael wrote:

For example, if you're living in a neighborhood with no grocery stores with fresh produce, are you gonna travel to the other side of town to get some fruits and veggies?

What kind of neighborhood doesn't have a market of some kind but has fast food places?

And who would move there? If you're dumb enough to move someplace with no market, then you deserve what you get.

And why do you have to have fresh produce to live healthy? Sure, it's nice, but technology has given us plenty of canned, frozen and dried options as well.

Fast food is bad for you? No kidding.
I agree that the increased availability of Fast Food is tempting. I also think the portion sizes offered by many of these places are ridiculous. But you know what, I personally don't need to "donate" the cost of a movie ticket to some jackass so that he can tell me something I already know. Or any adult with common sense should already know. Why do you people want to make him rich, anyway?

The fact is, people want to find any excuse they can to blame someone else for their own problems. Stand up for yourself and make good choices for yourself. Stop blaming Fast Food for being convenient and accessible. Stop being lazy and take responsibility for you own actions.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixie wrote:
The fact is, people want to find any excuse they can to blame someone else for their own problems. Stand up for yourself and make good choices for yourself. Stop blaming Fast Food for being convenient and accessible. Stop being lazy and take responsibility for you own actions.

Amen.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

zirael wrote:
For example, if you're living in a neighborhood with no grocery stores with fresh produce, are you gonna travel to the other side of town to get some fruits and veggies?

This is the 21st century. Where in the western world did you find a place with no grocery stores but plenty of fast-food restaurants?

Quote:
The convenience of fast food/junk food combined with all the massive amounts of money spent on advertising create a cultural environment where it is acceptable in the U.S. to eat it often. Of course individuals can resist the temptations, but it is difficult for many.

If they can't resist the temptation of advertising to save their own health then they are sheep not suited for this world and deserve to get fat and die.

Yeah, I'm harsh. Go cry to Ma Ma.

Zirael, perhaps you should put your location in your profile, so we know the environment you are in. Wink
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I only occasionally eat fast food and am 10 min. away from 2 grocery stores, so I have no problem buying healthy foods, but I do think it's a problem for some people in poorer socioeconomic areas where supermarkets are scarce and public transportation is spotty. Right now I'm living in NC where there's a lot of sprawl and public transportation like buses don't reach many places. Here's an abstract summary from Medline to support this:

Morland K, Wing S, Diez Roux A, Poole C. Neighborhood characteristics associated with the location of food stores and food service places. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2002 Jan;22(1):23-9.

BACKGROUND: Although the relationship between diet and disease is well established, sustainable dietary changes that would affect risk for disease have been difficult to achieve. Whereas individual factors are traditional explanations for the inability of some people to change dietary habits, little research has investigated how the physical availability of healthy foods affects individuals' diets. This study examines the distribution of food stores and food service places by neighborhood wealth and racial segregation. METHODS: Names and addresses of places to buy food in Mississippi, North Carolina, Maryland, and Minnesota were obtained from respective departments of health and agriculture. Addresses were geocoded to census tracts. Median house values were used to estimate neighborhood wealth, while the proportion of black residents was used to measure neighborhood racial segregation. RESULTS: Compared to the poorest neighborhoods, large numbers of supermarkets and gas stations with convenience stores are located in wealthier neighborhoods. There are 3 times fewer places to consume alcoholic beverages in the wealthiest compared to the poorest neighborhoods (prevalence ratio [PR]=0.3, 95% confidence interval [CI]=0.1-0.6). Regarding neighborhood segregation, there are 4 times more supermarkets located in white neighborhoods compared to black neighborhoods (PR=4.3, 95% CI=1.5-12.5). CONCLUSIONS: Without access to supermarkets, which offer a wide variety of foods at lower prices, poor and minority communities may not have equal access to the variety of healthy food choices available to nonminority and wealthy communities.
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

ah fast food burgers. it's manufactured stuff to look like meat and has chemicals added to give the taste of meat.Smile yummmmmmmy, yummmmmy.
Commander

Member#: 2693

graywolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website graywolf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I went to Mickey D's they had a whole range of salads, low carb and other healthy choice meals. Since it's just as easy to order a #12 as it is a #1 and the price is within $1 of each other, I'd have say all that fancy-scmancy quasi-scientific demographic statistical drivel doesn't hold up.

Stop trying to blame society, your parents, your kindergarden teacher, the guy who looked at you funny this morning, or your Aunt May who made you eat sweet pickle sandwiches for lunch every day when you visited her for summer vacation for your problems. We're all big boys and girls and it's time to take responsibility for whatever actions or inactions you do that put you and keep you where you are today.
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually Graywolf, as much as I agree with your position about personal responsibility, it turns out that there is almost as much fat in the Mickey D's salads as there is in the Big Mac. (probably due to the dressings)

Also, Zirael... I'll trust that your article backs up its conclusions properly. It's probably true that people in neighbourhoods with fewer food stores and more fast food outlets don't eat very well. But that doesn't mean that a determined person living in those sorts of areas can't stand up and go to the effort of eating better. We probably just need to start educating people better about these things.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Zirael's report, if their are nine markets in a rich area, then there are only three in the poor neighboorhood.

....excuse me... Three markets? What's stopping them from going to those places.

This is where you whine, "But those markets will be more crowded!"

Oh, boo hoo. Stop making excuses and stop whining for these people.

Hurr78 wrote:
it turns out that there is almost as much fat in the Mickey D's salads as there is in the Big Mac. (probably due to the dressings)

It is ENTIRELY due to the dressing. So buy a bottle of low fat whatever and stick in the botton drawer of your desk at work. (And Hurr, just so you know, I'm not necessarily addressing you for the remainder of this post. Smile)

(This is where some idiot says, "But some of these people don't have a desk to put their dressing in! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ")

Fact is, all of these people can do something about their problems if they really want to.

What we now have on this thread are the bleeding hearts, who are trying to make excuses for these people and relieve them of any responsibility they should have for their own actions, versus those who are saying these people need to stop acting like children and do something to help themselves.

You bleeding hearts are enablers. You're as bad as people who buy alchoholics booze. You're part of the problem even though you're so damn sure that "Being Nice" makes you part of the solution. You're the ones allowing these people to be lazy by constantly reassuring them that it's not their fault and there's nothing they can do.

Shame on you!

That's right. Shame on you! How dare you say these people can't take care of themselves!

How dare you come on here posting your half-assed reports giving these people even more excuses to play victim instead of taking care of themselves.

You know what's worse than all the lazy irresponsible people in this world? The others who enable them to be that way.

If you want to help the world, stop making excuses for these these people and tell them to get off their butts and do something about their problems.

Quote:
We probably just need to start educating people better about these things.

Now we need to educate grown adults that eating fast food all the time isn't healthy for them?

Please. Not only do you guys need to stop making excuses for the lazy and stupid; you need to stop idiot proofing everything at the expense of those who don't need it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: