StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Any other Natives here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurr78 wrote:
You're right, Lego. Reverse discrimination is still discrimination. I used to think that it was possible to achieve a colour blind world, but now I'm pretty sure that some people will always use race as an excuse to keep people divided from each other.

or an excuse to get handouts and not have to do anything
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

global orgy hey hurr???? That might work Wink

BTW Everyone. I would prefer it if you refer to me as a HETERO-GERMAN-NORWEGAIN-ITALIAN-IRISH-MIDDLE CLASS-AMERICAN. Cool

I figured that it is only a matter of time befer you had to state your sexual preference and your social status.
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Legolas wrote:

BTW Everyone. I would prefer it if you refer to me as a HETERO-GERMAN-NORWEGAIN-ITALIAN-IRISH-MIDDLE CLASS-AMERICAN. Cool

I figured that it is only a matter of time befer you had to state your sexual preference and your social status.

lmao off leggy
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh.

I wonder if this would have happened if I had asked if there were any other Germans participateing on this site? Somehow I doubt it. This has nothing to do with race, I was just wonding if anyone here had the same cultural background.

thuringwethil
Quote:
or an excuse to get handouts and not have to do anything
I ask for no handouts, I payed for my college out of my own pocket thank you very much. I work very hard and get no handouts.

Caray
Quote:
I find it interesting that you can still define yourself as 'indian' 'native American' (there, covered all the bases) past the second generation. I mean, if you are 1/8th or 1/16th indian, doesn't that make you 7/8 th or 15/16th something else instead ?
You asked a fair question of me, and although everyone else seemed to throw in their 2 cents I will answer as well. It is not a race issue it is a culture issue. What makes you French is not race but language, culture, history, food, stories etc. that is all I was asking about.

wolf
Quote:
You asked a question and people answered. Now if you don't like the way people answer (knowing that the SST comunity is a cheerful bunch), all I can say is... "tough".
I realy think two people answered my question, everyone else seems to be using it as a platform to attack political correctness, and display an amazing amount of meaningless jealousy and angst. I ask again if I had asked how many Germans were on the site, would this be happening to me?

I would really preffer that this thread be closed before more people grab the pitchforks and torches and come after me. It was an innocent question that had nothing to do with race.

I would once again like to apologise for this thread.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else DID once actually ask if there were any Germans on this site, and we all looked at him a bit weird.

Of course that was partially because he created the same thread in EVERY section of forum.

Istagi, I didn't intend for this to become a soap box derby, my one and only point is that Native American is kind of a silly term.

I was actually expecting you to either say, "Yeah you're right, it's kind of BS." or "No, it's not silly, and here's why!" And not freak out and fly off the handle the way you did.

Sit down, put your feet up and have a smoothie.
Oglala Istagi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
Someone else DID once actually ask if there were any Germans on this site, and we all looked at him a bit weird.

Of course that was partially because he created the same thread in EVERY section of forum.

Istagi, I didn't intend for this to become a soap box derby, my one and only point is that Native American is kind of a silly term.

I was actually expecting you to either say, "Yeah you're right, it's kind of BS." or "No, it's not silly, and here's why!" And not freak out and fly off the handle the way you did.

Sit down, put your feet up and have a smoothie.
I am well aware that some people bristle at the term. I have been around long enough to know that I am unable to change anyones views on the term. I freaked out because as soon as this thread started going in that direction I knew what would happen. I think by looking over the thread I was correct and had a good reason to freak out.

I came to this site to listen to great music not to discuss race relations.

If we can change that smoothie to a beer I am all over it.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Istagi, I'm a writer. I don't see this as race relations; I see it as a vocabulary error.

Regular or Lite?
Oglala Istagi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular.
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Istagi no one said you took handouts... There were a few here talking about general people of all race and culture... I have read all of this again an no where do I see that it was an attack at you...

But I thank you for making this thread. No need for you to appologise. You have brought people to discuss some interesting sub-topics.

But I am actually interested in you backround... If you have any info on your ancestors PM me some links when you get a chance.
SlowMo
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 29

SlowMo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SlowMo's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love how I can tip a thread over into chaos Razz

I'm proud to have been the first who mocked the use of the term native, and you know, it was just for fun, because I love a little discussion.. This community forum is meant to be fun, in every way possible.

Oh, and had you been a German asking for friends, I'm sure I would have mentioned the war Razz
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 4340

Haurk is offline View user's profile Send private message Haurk's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The SST community is unbeliveable... Every single thread, no matter how innocent it starts out turns to a bloody flamebattle, and to be honest it's very amusing Very Happy

(Yeah, I said every single thread, which isn't true... but that'll give someone something to flame me about, yay!)

I seldom post anything in them. Usually because I'm crappy at expressing things in english, and therefore I avoid writing cause I'd just cause more confusion, misunderstanding and flaming than what's already there. But the threads are really fun to read. Smile

And to actually write something, on topic!:
I think Indians have all the right to call themselves Native Americans. I did read the link Pixie so kindly supplied which tells us a native two things, first:
"a. One of the original inhabitants or lifelong residents of a place." Which of course means every single person born in the USA could call themselves Native Americans, but atleast I associate the word native more to the second explanation: "b. One of the original inhabitants or lifelong residents of a place."

But as I'm not a native(using my new vocabulry Very Happy) american, and english isn't my primary language I guess that it's something my twisted swedish brain has got totally wrong.

The problem (is threre really a problem?) is that you're one word short. Should be one word for native a, and another for native b Smile

PS. It's 1.50am... My twisted swedish brain stopped working properly about 2 hours ago Wink
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Haurk, you obviously are rather naive as far as the internet goes if you think this forum is bad and full of flame wars.

Second, wanna know something I like?

People who try to get us going on old debates again, under the guise of criticizing us for them.

Good Job. Go back to grade school.

Doofus.
gecko
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 14

gecko is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website gecko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

COCLES, YOU IDIOT. Will you shut up for once? Go eat a cock, coc. HAHAHA. I'm so original and funny.
Haurk
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 4340

Haurk is offline View user's profile Send private message Haurk's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I got my first Doofus from Cocles, yay.. or something.

Cocles:
And on being naive, I think you're right. I probobly am. But I do know what real forumflaming is, I've seen enough of it on DAoC forums,and it's not what people do here (except for you who really do flame and seem to love to step on others toes as hard as possible), my earlier post wasn't meant to be taken seriously, except for the part where I actually was on topic.

You're far superior me in writing and expressing yourself, so you'll probobly write something funny and find something else to critcizise me for. I've been able to stay out of harms way for quite some time because I've been mostly quiet, but now it's time it seems.

And about getting you going on old debates again I'm not really sure what you mean. I made that post the first time I read this thread, and I added the part about previous discussions here because that post was the first post I've ever made in one thread that's transformed in the way I was talking about.

You just keep doing what you do and I'll keep on reading, cause it lots of fun to read, I have to admit that. But don't count on me posting my 2 cents again.

(Istagi, sorry for taking this thread further downhill)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: