StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Album Ratings System 3.0
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm   Post subject: Album Ratings System 3.0 Reply with quote

Sensei has been working hard with the help of Cal and I for the past few weeks to bring this to you. We did this for 2 major reasons. The first is abuse. There has been a lot of album rating abuse and we felt we had to do something to stop it. The other is we wanted to make the stars more meaningful. Most of the albums were around 3.5 stars and 5 star albums were hard to come by with more than a handful of votes.

The stars are now based off a percentile instead of raw numbers. In other words the highest rated soundtrack will be 5 stars now instead of 4.5. The lowest will be 0.5 stars instead of 2. Basically we stretched the numbers out to give the stars or more accurate representation of how it stands with the rest of the soundtracks on SST.

There will be a minimum amount of votes required now in order to output a rating. It is set to 1 for now. That number will increase as more ratings come in. We had to do this in order to get the percentile system to work.

We added extra security by requiring login in order to rate albums. We also have some other top secret security features in place. Do not attempt to bring a albums rating down or boost it too. Just be fair and rate it what you think it actually is.

All previous ratings were transfered over to the new system, but only as ONE vote. This basically eliminated all the fraudulent votes but kept a baseline for the album.

As we get more and more votes you will see the Top 100 become more respectible. Our goal is to have THE top 100 list of soundtracks. Now it's up to you to go out and vote!!

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.

Last edited by JERIC on Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

And then over to some technical stuff...
The mathematical formula used to calculate the percentile rating is like this:
Percentile Rating = Physical Rating - Lowest Rated / ((Highest Rated - Lowest Rated) / 100)

If any one of you did not understand the principle of the new system I will give you an example in small-scale. Imagine we have only three votes on three different albums called A, B and C.

A = 4
B = 3
C = 2

Usually this would display as 2, 3 and 4 stars, but in the new system it will be displayed as 0.5, 3 and 5 stars. In percentage it is 0, 50 and 100%. The percents are evenly devided amongst the stars and all five stars dark means the album hasn't been rated yet or hasn't got enough votes to be rated in the percentile system.

In most places you can get detailed info on an albums rating by hovering over the stars. The physical, or true rating, is the same as what was used in the previous system, and is also the value that is stored.

As JERIC said, we have some "top secret security features in place". So don't try anything stupid, you will only get caught and be fed to Cocles. Twisted Evil

The new system hasn't been tested by many people yet and only in a small scale so it might still have a few issues. There are especially two things I want you to look for: 1. Links to albuminfo pages that are dead (404s) 2. Albums that are displayed with different ratings in different places. If e.g. The Time Machine has a 85% rating in the albuminfo and a 42% rating in the now playing header there should be a bell ringing. So, please report anything out of the ordinary.
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei wrote:
And then over to some technical stuff...

Math at 3 a.m yay! Now I get it sensei.
Captain

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei got this on bebop2 requested URL /modules/SAM/album.php was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.50 (Win32) PHP/4.3.7 Server at www.streamingsoundtracks.com Port 80 when requesting a Gateway, no prob on the last song (something remix)
Commander

Member#: 6471

Tjoe is offline View user's profile Send private message Tjoe's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei wrote:

In most places you can get detailed info on an albums rating by hovering over the stars. The physical, or true rating, is the same as what was used in the previous system, and is also the value that is stored.

Using Firefox 0.9, I'm not getting the hover information on ratings. I checked a variety of albums from the queue, and also from the Requests page. All the other hovers (request buttons, etc.) are still working for me in Firefox.

In IE (6.0), the stars hover works fine for me.
korkster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 548

korkster is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website korkster's Favorites are Private
AIM Address MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am appreciative of the new rating system. Kudos on the work you guyz did!!
Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Tjoe wrote:
Sensei wrote:

Using Firefox 0.9, I'm not getting the hover information on ratings. I checked a variety of albums from the queue, and also from the Requests page. All the other hovers (request buttons, etc.) are still working for me in Firefox.

In IE (6.0), the stars hover works fine for me.

Partly solved. You'll see the information but only IE understands the linebreak-command. So, you'll see the info but all on one line and maybe with a funny character in between. We might put some JS or DHTML in there to make a better pop-up box.
Lieutenant

Member#: 7365

Jazzman is offline View user's profile Send private message Jazzman's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming there's something in place that keeps me from rating a CD more than once. Is that true? I can also never remember which ones I've already rated, so what happens if I mistakenly rate it again?

Also, one reason I don't rate many CDs is because I've only heard one or two tracks from them and I think I'd need to hear at least half the tracks before I could give the whole CD a rating. I'm not sure what to do about it (other than playing more tracks from CDs at once, which isn't really plausible). I guess one approach would be some way for me to see what rating I'd given a CD previously and allow me to change it. Then I could give a rating after hearing one or two tracks, then change it after I've heard more of it.

It would also be interesting to have the popularity of a track (based on how often it's requested) factor into its rating.
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is something to keep you from doing it twice. It will not give you the option once you have rated it.
Commander

Member#: 6471

Tjoe is offline View user's profile Send private message Tjoe's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei wrote:

Partly solved. You'll see the information but only IE understands the linebreak-command. So, you'll see the info but all on one line and maybe with a funny character in between. We might put some JS or DHTML in there to make a better pop-up box.

Thanks Sensei - you ROCK (as always). Single line is better than no line.
USA schroddie
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7501

schroddie is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website schroddie's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy you changed the rating system. I think it's much better the way it is now!!

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The minimum ratings needed to output a stars/percentile rating is now 4.

USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
The minimum ratings needed to output a stars/percentile rating is now 4.

Jeric, did this just change? last night when sensei went to bed it was 5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There are problems with SST-lite btw.

Just a 'FYI' for Sensei.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I changed it to 4. There were not enough albums with 5 ratings to display a presentable Top 100 Rated list.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: