StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Original JAWS added back, please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Added
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA AbeFroman
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

aw

Member#: 7805

AbeFroman is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View AbeFroman's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:40 pm   Post subject: Original JAWS added back, please. Reply with quote

I would like to see the original ST for Jaws added back instead of being replaced by the re-recording. They sound very different from each other and should both be listed. (Personally, I prefer the original MUCH better.)

Thanks, GaryLASQ
shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3465

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a re-recording, but a carefully re-mastered, re-edited and expanded version of the original score, with added bits and pieces which have been truncated from the soundtrack originally released in 1975. This is how John Williams meant the music to be. And yes, it does sound different: better. The sound quality has been drastically improved. I don't see why a mutilated version of the same recordings (in sound quality that does not match today's standards) should be added again.
USA AbeFroman

aw

AbeFroman is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View AbeFroman's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I'll have to drag the movie out and listen more carefully while I watch. "Sea Attack Number One", now called "Man Against Beast" on the re-mastered version don't sound anything alike. "Sea Attack Number One" sounds better. Not better in recording quality but better in terms of composition. I agree the recording quality of the original is poor, but the editing and composition isn't half bad Wink whether JW meant it to be released that way or not. I guess its all a matter of what a person is familiar with...
shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3465

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess its all a matter of what a person is familiar with...

True.

Talking about the difference between the 2 versions:
I did use the scene "First Victim" as an example in a lecture about the use of filmmusic, as I believe Jaws is one of the most perfectly edited and spotted movies ever. I did show the students the same scene 5 times:

a) without music, just sound fx
b) with the original music
c) with the uncut music from the collector's edition soundtrack
d) with "The Blue Danube" by Johann Strauss
e) with "Kontakte" (=contacts) by Karlheinz Stockhausen

The music, as it's presented in the film, has it's peak when the victim gets dragged under water by the shark, and it remains silent afterwards. All you can see is calm sea, all you can hear is the little bell from the buoj. Very powerful use of music and sound.
Now, I noticed that the new music from the collector's soundtrack misses the point where the swimmer is dragged under water by about 1 second, the build-up is too long and the peak too late. After that, the music is still playing very quietly, while we see the calm sea and Chief Brody standing at the window.

That lead me to the conclusion that either

a) that scene was re-edited after John Williams did record the score, and they had to edit the music accordingly
b) the orchestra (that wasn't playing to a click track, even John Williams conducting didn't have one) had timing problems and missed the peak
c) John Williams did want it that way, but it didn't work in the movie and they decided to edit the music.

Probably, it's both the orchestra paying inaccurately and John Williams wanting the music to go on after the victim got killed.

Either way, every student believed that the original, edited filmmusic was better, and that the new collector's version lowered the impact of the scene. I feel the same way - it just works better in the movie. However, from a compositional point-of-view, the new, uncut version is far superior than the truncated one in my opinion.
Now, we can't argue over which version should be included on CD, but since there are different rules for music helping a movie and music you enjoy listening to at home, I prefer the original, uncut vision by John Williams - whether it may have worked for that particular scene or not.
USA AbeFroman

aw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

guess i don't need to bother dragging out the movie and trying to sync it up with the new CD after all...Smile

thanks for the detail shock.

all i can say is, even if the recording quality of the new CD is better technically, i still prefer the editing/composition of the original release much better. Sea Attack #1 on the original is in my JW top 5 tracks. the same track on the new release just drags on and doesn't have the same "punch".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Added All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: