StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

kong 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
kinski
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 959

kinski is offline View user's profile Send private message kinski's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:47 am   Post subject: kong 2005 Reply with quote

I have not seen a post yet ( maybe missed it ) talking about the score for the new kong film. Anyone have an opinion?

kinski Shocked
Gr81
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 5444

Gr81 is offline View user's profile Send private message Gr81's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound clips I've heard so far make me want to get the album. Another fine James Newton Howard effort!
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wasn't very impressed with this album.
I grade this 4/7; An OK score, but lacks themes and 'punch'.
I've heard several other JNH scores that I find better. Get Narnia instead Wink
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10545

Morpheus is offline View user's profile Send private message Morpheus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The score for King Kong is a CRACKER!!!

Love JNH anyway, especially his slow string and piano sections. It has a great classic feel to it in places, harking back to the music of the era. I cannot wait to be able to hear it in relation to the visuals when I go and see the film.

I would highly recommend this score!!
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The score went well with the movie, however, I'd still like to hear what Howard Shore had done with it. I'm still disappointed he got ditched at the last minute Rolling Eyes
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chandler so far.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Goblinmoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 1999

Goblinmoon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Goblinmoon's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree as well... Thought it was good, but not as good as it could've been... And LOL just like Asri, I also wondered what Shore could've done with it!

However I will say that for a movie I expected to be eh... I was impressed, and I was one of those that said Jackson was nuts to do Kong.

Still maybe question the marketability of it, but the effort and outcome...
Belgium Tron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4034

Tron is offline View user's profile Send private message Tron's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you guys mean.
The only two tracks I really like are "tooth and claw" (awesome scene btw) and "central park". The rest is between mediocre and good, but still one of JNH best in my opinion.
Gr81
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 5444

Gr81 is offline View user's profile Send private message Gr81's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the movie yesterday. The score is great. I'd definitely like to see the release of the complete score of King Kong on a 3-CD set in the future.
Ensign

Member#: 7814

Francel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Francel's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of you are getting too harsh regarding JNH's effort. Personally I believe it is certainly wonderful, and even more so if you consider the guy had around two and a half weeks to write 176 minutes of music without ever meeting with Jackson.

I cannot see how it is lacking themes. On previous efforts, JNH has tried to work into more fluid, popular melodic patterns. Not so much as of late. His tastes are evolving, he's not the same guy as he was some 10 years ago; thus, his music changes. Kong was something he embraced with deep enthusiasm, and was very careful with the kind of emotions that played in the film. There are many wonderful themes here. Just listen to the triple ostinato figures in "It's in the Subtext", the flowing strings used for the Naomi Watts character in "A Fateful Meeting", the astonishing climax heard in the "Beauty Killed the Beast" suite with its primal quality (listen carefully how the driving trombones are used to maximum effect).

The very lyrical passage for flute and oboe used in "Beautiful", with its high-octave piano flowing in the back, is for me, just the most wonderful moment in this gorgeous score. Sure, it's not about constructing incredibly complex themes a-la-Williams, it's mostly about the phrasing and to create a texture. Thoroughly succesful, I'd say.

BTW, regarding Howard, remember, he was NOT ditched from the film. It was just something Jackson and he didn't agree on and he left on excellent terms, even to the point of agreeing that his score was not something that could have helped the movie. For those curious, Howard's score is a cross between being very experimental but rooted in classicism (there are many Steiner-isms here and there) and having a very ethnic feel, with blasting percussion and brass. Sadly it's highly unlikely his score will be released, but stranger things have happened.

I can't say how Shore's score would have worked in the movie, but I can say that it is very impressive, with much raw power but lacking the lyricism that Jackson needed and which JNH supplied wonderfully.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 196

Furyen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Furyen's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Francel, to the extent that some people's expectations are rising for our greater known Composer's, and their work. I will admit that I haven't totally listioned to the whole score. But I felt throughout the movie, the score was subplaced with great care. As our good friend Francel stated, JNH's job was to phrase and creat a score that texturized the the various plots of the story. Some score's are not ment to stand out from what is shown on the screen. Thats how it is.

Now I suppose those of us who are going to pout like a bunch of fat-ass'd comic book salesmen, judging the best from the worst. Why dont you stick your head in a toliet, and thank your graced JNH that he left the Elton Johnny band, or we wouldn't have the Awe-Stricken scores that he produced through out his Career. God, I hate Moviemusic.com!!! Cheers!! Laughing

USSR the_lake_effect
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JNH only had 2 months to work on 3 hours worth of score. He did the best job anyone could do under those circumstance. Ultimately, the fault lies with Jackson and Shore for not completely disagreeing earlier and parting ways in the summer to give anyone else a decent chance to work on the score from scratch. Imagine if JNH was given just another month to compose.

Or you could blame movie executives for not waiting a few months, but the blood was in the water and we needed our KING KONG NOW! *makes ritual sacrifice of hot blonde to giant ape*

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: