StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Check out Marco Beltrami's website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
ruckus
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 13471

ruckus is offline View user's profile Send private message ruckus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:23 pm   Post subject: Check out Marco Beltrami's website Reply with quote

Hello,

The Marco Beltrami's (Terminator 3, I Robot) website has some excellent material under the 'samples' section including mp3's and score downloads (in pdf format).

http://www.marcobeltrami.de

p.s> I just joined the site a few days ago and I've been listening fairly constantly. Its a great site - I've found nothing else like it. Hope this topic hasn't been covered already.

ruckus
Germany payableondeath
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 12372

payableondeath is offline View user's profile Send private message View payableondeath's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks ruckus..... i can hear samples of "underworld evolution" yeahhhhh... great...

asri enjoy it....

Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome site. Thanks, ruckus!
And it's great to see an Irishman here!!
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, great find!

But why is it so tough or let's say impossible to find/get written scores of the soundtracks (any film, any composer)?
This just makes it harder to be performed in public concerts. (Except you pay a high fee...)
I just think it's something musicians and filmmusic lovers would appreciate a great deal if purchaseable.
Auroter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13482

Auroter is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Auroter's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not enough market for them, as far as I can tell. People are content enough with fake books of the scores. I'm not, but people are. I of course, am not a person.
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 7814

Francel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Francel's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting actual film scores is hard for a number of reasons, the most prominent being that this is not some piano piece written over 100 years ago and on the public domain.

These works are copyrighted and studios have the power (and the right) to decide if they want to seize the opportunity for a very limited market and launch a transcription for private use; thus you can find transcriptions of certain pieces for individual instruments (i.e. Williams' ET, Silvestri's Forrest Gump theme and the like)

Now, if you were a collector and you would like to buy an actual film score with all the written parts, well that's just not gonna happen unless you're a professional working in the industry or if you have some sort of liaison with an orchestra.

So, let's say you have an orchestra or you are connected with one, one way or the other, and you are interested in performing X piece or X score, then John Waxman (and his Themes & Variations enterprise) is the man to get.

John (who's a wonderful guy and the son of the great Franz Waxman, no less) has been, for some 30 years now, responsible for reconstructing film scores and for renting them to orchestras worldwide for performing. And no, he doesn't rent them for a high fee, quite the opposite. He's probably more interested than any of us in bringing the film score to the public performance and the concert scene. His film score catalog represents the work of some 100+ film composers and the number of scores is vast by the hundreds, ranging from full symphonic ones by Korngold, Rózsa, Waxman, Goldsmith, Williams, to more contemporary names like Doyle, Wiseman, Portman, Ottman, Yared and Young, to name a few.

So, all the material is there, ready to be played in the concert hall, with all the good intentions this magnificent business implies, one just has to know where to look for. The thing that has to change is the awareness that this is some random kind of music. It has to do with the pop sensibilities and horrible prejudices that still exist in the concert scene and the stubborn people who would rather hear Beethoven's 9th for the umpteenth time than some atonal film work by Takemitsu.

Remember that we are all a minority here, and if the general consensus is that people keep thinking film music is just a randomly-made device and it's dumb to listen to it and even worse, that Williams is a hack who only whistles melodies and magically puts them in paper (I know some empty-headed people who feel this way), the world will still be quite horrifying.
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Francel wrote:
Remember that we are all a minority here, and if the general consensus is that people keep thinking film music is just a randomly-made device and it's dumb to listen to it and even worse, that Williams is a hack who only whistles melodies and magically puts them in paper (I know some empty-headed people who feel this way), the world will still be quite horrifying.

Sigh. If only we could just... re-educate them. Wink
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Francel!
One the reasons why I'm so interested into printed scores is for study reasons (studying composing at the University for music and arts in Vienna).
I'm curious about the style of orchestration, because you can't hear all details on the soundtrack alone to make out the score in your head.
(Or did someone notice the marimba in the Hellboy-track "Fireproof"?)
And transcriptions for piano, which mostly are so oversimple a 4-year old could play it... I beg your pardon.

By the way: On March 16th, the orchestra of the Vienna Music High School (I graduated there 2 years ago) is going to perform the John Williams "Star Wars-Suite" (Episode IV-VI) in the Wiener Musikverein (the concert hall where the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra always perform the "New Years Eve Concert").
It took a very long time when they finally got the sheets.

And at least in Middle Europe there's still a great deal of interest into contemporary music. (There are several festivals, concert weeks, etc. in the whole Austrian and German area regularily.)

In my point of view filmmusic is sometimes the best possibility to be introduced into avantgardistic or modern music. (Just think of Bernard Herrmann or Leonard Rosenman, who wrote the first 12-tone score in filmhistory.)
After being confronted with such pieces there shouldn't be too much confusion about a Ligety, Penderecki, Schoenberg, Berg, Stravinsky, Bartók or Messiaen... right???

And maybe we SHOULD re-educate concert listeners in certain ways.
No matter if in the US, Southern America, Canada or Europe.
There's already an average age of visitors to "classical" orchestral concerts/Operas/etc. at the 50ies and higher.
Except for music students I hardly find youngsters or kids at most of the concerts I'm going to in Vienna.
And Vienna is allegedly THE city of music itself.
So there must be something wrong, or am I just paranoid?
(Okay, it's a little off-topic, but I think it suits into that discussion since we're talking about "minorities")
Auroter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Auroter is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Auroter's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

bpewien wrote:

And transcriptions for piano, which mostly are so oversimple a 4-year old could play it... I beg your pardon.

You are so right, sir. And I agree/share your wish to view the scores for orchestrating practice; however, you can always become an awesome composer and just have the studio hire and orchestrator for you Razz . Seriously though, I totally see where you're coming from, but orchestration of classical/romantic pieces aren't too far off. And if you're looking for some odd instrumentation combinations, you can always look in the direction of (for example) Le Marteau sans maitre by Pierre Boulez which has an ensemble of xylophone, guitar, tlue, viola and vibraphone Wink
Captain
Captain

aw

MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Auroter wrote:

And I agree/share your wish to view the scores for orchestrating practice; however, you can always become an awesome composer and just have the studio hire and orchestrator for you Razz .

Well, as long as it is well paid and I can have my pieces being performed at concerts (doesn't have to be only filmmusic)... I think I could get along well with that for a while... Cool Nevertheless I'd like to do the orchestration myself if possible.
Thanks though! But it's still a far way...

It's not only because of the orchestration alone I'm interested of course, but it's really thrilling to look at modern scores, especially when they're not so easy to get. And it can be helpful for conducting to analyse them.

If I'd like to learn more about orchestration, I'd buy the "Handbuch der Instrumentationspraxis" (= Manual of instrumentation, sadly quite expensive, but a great book) by Ertugrul Sevsay (he also teaches at the Vienna University) and look at Ravel, Stravinksy, Bartók, Lutoslawski and many other scores.

Looking at the notes sometimes helps me to understand more of the connections, the details and so on.
You can't tell everything by only hearing it from a record, no matter if you have the "musical ear"/"perfect pitch" or not.
*Okay, I admit. I just love to look at scores and listen to the music simultaneously.* Smile
Auroter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

AIM Address
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

bpewien wrote:
*Okay, I admit. I just love to look at scores and listen to the music simultaneously.* Smile

Why do you think I bought the complete scores to all 9 Beethoven Symphonies? Wink
Captain
Captain

aw

MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Mahler, Shostakovich, Brahms, Richard Strauss, Hindemith, Webern, Krenek, Wellesz, Wagner... Mr. Green
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

bpewien wrote:
Okay, I admit. I just love to look at scores and listen to the music simultaneously. Smile
One of my favorite things to do, too! I find it fascinating, especially for operas (talking about the full scores, not just the libretti) but enjoy symphonies & concertos as well.

This is a great thread! Very Happy
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
...especially for operas (talking about the full scores, not just the libretti) but enjoy symphonies & concertos as well.

Yeah, seeing what for instance Richard Wagner puts into his orchestrations (especially the brass section!!!) can be very satisfying... not to forget Stravinsky Cool

Twopop wrote:
This is a great thread! Very Happy

Agreed!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: