StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Emotional/Personal Side of Movie Scores

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
AnotherBovine
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 353

AnotherBovine is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AnotherBovine's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:05 pm   Post subject: The Emotional/Personal Side of Movie Scores Reply with quote

Hi, I was just wondering one day why i enjoyed movie scores so much and i think that one of the main reasons is that when you listen to them they give off a certain emotion. For example when i listen to the Thin Red Line it's sad and sorrowful, Apollo 13: Pride and Determination
Schindlers List: Loss
The Rock: Power
Snow Falling on Cedars: Loss, Grief

Maybe emotion isn't the right word for this but i hope you understand what i'm trying to say. I was wondering what other people associated with other Scores or why you like them. Maybe I sound like an idiot but i just wanted to put the personal or emotional side of this type of music out there rather than just the musical composition.
I hope i havn't made a complete fool out of myself.. But tell me what you think...

Another Bovine
Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree with you! I think that one of the most important effects of film music is its ability to emphasize and strenghten emotions and moods. I have experienced that soundtracks get a whole new meaning after I watch the movie. (E.g. The Deer Hunter, Once Upon A Time In America) Wink
Cadet 4

Member#: 1753

Glorix Jim is offline View user's profile Send private message Glorix Jim's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:03 pm   Post subject: Music is Emotion Reply with quote

Couln't agree more with you Another Bovine.
Music itself brings lots of different emotions but music combined with the different atmosphere's which occur in movie's really strengthen each other.

Like the Twin Peaks soundtrack, listening to it really makes you feel lost, creepy, etc. I can imagine endless other examples are possible.
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent points all, but I must add to this.

For me it is not just the emotional value of the music, (although the theme from Star Wars has that wonderful epic marshall pride feeling going on with it) but it is also the memories that are evoked as well. I remember seeing Star Wars in the theaters. I remember people that I have seen movies with and experiences that I have had as well. The ST is a great way to alow the memory and the imagination to soar.
Lieutenant

Member#: 1999

Goblinmoon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Goblinmoon's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... The emotions, the memories all are part of this...

Now the question is have you heard a score but didn't know the context, and then later when you saw the movie, were wrong about the emotions in the piece?

Goblin
XTReactorVX
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 108

XTReactorVX is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XTReactorVX's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I listened to the Anastasia soundtrack way way before I saw the movie. I dunno the movie felt kind of weird and the songs that had people singing in it were not as I had imagined.

I wish the anime series Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters could have kept its original music when being brought over. Unfortunately the company that bought it, 4Kids, replaced all the original score with some mediocre stuff.
phexus
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 2416

phexus is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website phexus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Real good points here. One thing I would like to add is that Movie Scores give me a lot of inspiration in things I do, weather it be a drawing, or a 3D animation.
fatherj
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 2016

fatherj is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail fatherj's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the cow, but ultimately, all I care about is if it is good music. I could care less if I even know what movie the song came from. I enjoy lyrics, but I don't have to have them to enjoy the song. A good score is good, regardless of any emotional (or any other kind) attachment to a particular movie or game. I often listen to scores from movies or games that I have never seen or heard of, but I still enjoy them, or hate them depending on the song. Hmm....I'm tired, and I think I'm rambling, so I will stop.
Ensign

Member#: 454

Marko is offline View user's profile Send private message Marko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Bovine. I love music for the emotions that it provokes in me. It is hard not to love music that does that well.

Marko
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That thread is almost a year old dude.
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING : THIS THREAD IS OVER A YEAR OLD . . . .

Bernard Herrmann is a Master at evoking emotion that goes so well with the scene at hand.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: