StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Is longer better???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 

I think a song should be disabled from requesting if...
it is over 5 minutes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
it is over 10 minutes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
it is over 15 minutes
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
it is over 20 minutes
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
it is over 30 SECONDS
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NEVER!!
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
wait, you mean I can request? How do I do that?
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I don't care, I wish you people would leave me alone.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

Pixie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:47 pm   Post subject: Is longer better??? Reply with quote

Well...maybe not better, but what do you guys think? Does it make a difference to you if the song is long?

What if it is interesting and enjoyable?

Do you feel like you are being cheated out of something just because a song is more than a minute or two?

Maybe I'm the only one who likes them long...what do you guys think??? Very Happy

Poll ends in 7 days
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay pixie sense you decided to come to your own idead on how to start this up i guess i have to post here now... Hmm. Well i guess my original post in the forums would have to be about maybe that if you request a 20 minute song you should wait longer to queue again, or hell maybe we can break them up some how... I really don't want to be responsible for taking away you precious looong songs Wink so i won't vote just yet.
Pixie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot speak for others, but when I request a longer song, I often make that my only request for the day. I typically don’t request the longer songs more than once every few weeks.

As far as breaking them up, I must be misunderstanding you.

You want to split a song into pieces? Question Question Question

I suppose some could say the same thing about long movies… would you like the movie theatre to break up Lord of the Rings into 2 pieces? After all, it is a long movie, and it is hard for a lot of people to sit through the whole thing, even though they might enjoy it. Heck if TTT was split into two, I wouldn’t have made myself suffer through the whole second half.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Songs should be judged by their merit. Not their length. There are 30 seconds songs on here that I think should go, while there are 20 minute songs that I think should stay.

The bad songs with a larger duration obviously take more flak, because we are forced to bear through them for a longer time.

The problem is a lot of listeners have formed a prejudice that just because something is long, it is bad.
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Break up songs.... my dear god... like Jeric has never done that before Rolling Eyes he has also grouped shorter songs together... but nice attempt in trying to get me to think splitting up something for length is crazy by referring to movies that I like that happen to be long.... But then again a movie that I choose to see in a theatre, cannot be compared with a long sound track that someone else picks for me to listen to, or what I normally do if its a long song that I dislike, I just don't listen... Wink You see that’s my choice, but I also should be able to whine that I have to do that quite a bit.

Keep in mind Pixie that this was not a personal attack on you. I know there are more than you who request longer songs, and some do it regularly. Thank you for the one pick a day... It would be nicer if more people did that, and less people queued them anyways..

No I don not think people should be punished for requesting an above average song length. But I also don't think those other people should be punished by missing there songs, or waiting an hour to hear what they queued up. So what's the lesser of two evils here? Obviously cutting out those long songs would be unfair, but hearing them played every 24 hours on the 24th hour is not fair either... that's why I wanted to have us brainstorm on the ideas... not just to come up with a condescending poll...
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So listen to somethihg else while the long songs play, Leggy. No one's holding a gun to your head.... or are they? Cool

Newbs want more bang for their buck so they request the longest song on the score they want to listen to.

Songs should be judged by their merit. Simple as that. And breaking up a song is ludicrous unless it's the type of album where they have combined several songs onto one track.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
Songs should be judged by their merit. Not their length. There are 30 seconds songs on here that I think should go, while there are 20 minute songs that I think should stay.

Problem is that some of the people out there requests them just to laugh at the people in the chat "whining" (mark the quotes :-) ) about it. Like: "Hey I am not listening to the stream because I only like 128k quality and that one is choppy at the moment, lets piss off the people in the chat with a 20 minutes Chariots of Fire".

PS. Alabama is still one of my favourite tracks :-)
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like these two European doofus's I know who request Eye of the Tiger all the time...
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
Kind of like these two European doofus's I know who request Eye of the Tiger all the time...

We only did it onc.... eeerm twice Very Happy
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the part where I say, "Due to Caliburn's abuse of the streams, I will no longer partake of them until he apologizes or is removed." ? Wink
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
Is this the part where I say, "Due to Caliburn's abuse of the streams, I will no longer partake of them until he apologizes or is removed." ? Wink

Oh I can say 'sorry' if you want me to, but I prolly wont mean it and besides it is all Mo's fault. He made me do it Cool

And dont forget that, Mo and I always do the great combo. So we sometimes do good things.
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we can all agree that this one is not that good. about half of it is. the rest of it is recycled crap.

Queue (Under Construction)
1. The Snow Files - Suite From The X; Files (31:2Cool

an no i am not whining becuase there was a 22 minute and an 18 minute back to back. I didn't say a word about them cause they were tolorable.

Maybe if what was queued showed the lengths people may wait to request long ones... just my two cents.
USA Goblinmoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 1999

Goblinmoon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Goblinmoon's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm tricky question. I voted for the over 20 mins. However I don't think its safe to say that it should be applied across the board.

and yea there are certainly some 30 sec tracks that are useless to, but they are gone fast.

My perspective on it, is that since I can't request from work, I try to make my ones that I get at home worthwhile. Course that still is generally only like 5 mins tracks at the most.

Goblin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: