StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Improvement Request: No repeats based on album rating.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Cyberbrain
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 185

Cyberbrain is offline View user's profile Send private message Cyberbrain's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:33 am   Post subject: Improvement Request: No repeats based on album rating. Reply with quote

With the recent controversy over the no repeats being set up to 4/15 and now at 4/10... and the recent addition of Pesadelo caused me to brainstorm some ideas.

Its easy to complain when your unhappy about something, but it takes something else to come up with a possible solution.

This may be something Pesadelo or someone can implement.

My idea is to scale the no repeat wait time based on an albums rating. This would encourage people to rate albums and also give people the ability to influence how often a track/album is requestable.

Here's an example scale.

Current repeat schedual 4/10.

0 Stars = default wait time.
1 Stars = +3 days wait time
2 Stars = +2 days wait time
3 Stars = -1 day wait time
4 Stars = -2 days wait time
5 Stars = -3 days wait time

So that would make a 5 Star Album repeatable every 7 days.
Or a 1 star repeatable every 13 days.

This scale should be set not effect "new" albums, as it could make songs requestable every day if gets rated 5 stars in its new period.

Or you could even make a 100% non penalizing scale like this one so that low rated albums are not effected. Incase anyone would be upset that low rated albums have extra wait time.

0 Stars = default wait time.
1 Stars = default wait time.
2 Stars = default wait time.
3 Stars = -1 day wait time
4 Stars = -2 days wait time
5 Stars = -3 days wait time

In any event, the scale can be whatever the moderaters feel is best.

Tell me, what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Possible? Impossible?

Last edited by Cyberbrain on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a nice idea, but I have absolutely no clue as to how complicated that would be to implement.

To me it sounds complicated, but then, anything involving numbers defeats me. Wink
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea didn't get much support the last time it was raised.

I don't know if people will feel any different about it now or not.

I'm still not so sure...

Mr. Green
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cyberbrain is offline View user's profile Send private message Cyberbrain's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah nice, didnt see that you made the suggestion before. Good to know im not the only one who thought of it and likes the idea.
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, do you think that implementing this would be a large enough improvement on the listening experience to justify the effort to put it in action?
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as long as its not too much work or effects the stability of SST.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a neat idea. I am concerned about vote stuffing though. That's when people vote 1 or 5 in attempt to bring the album rating higher or lower instead of actually giving it an honest rating. Your proposed feature could not be implemented without some kind of protection from this first. It is more apparent on DFM and I would imagine it would be even worse if voters had the opportunity impact an albums' ability to be played.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Cyberbrain
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Jeric, thats one concern I had but didn't want to mention.

Could instead of baseing it on Album rating, maybe make a 2nd rating system but then it starts to get overly complicated *sigh*
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the problem with rating is always that, as the saying goes: "one person's trash is another person's treasure." And I know it is then up to people to get up and vote but why should any track be effectively penalised because the majority of people don't like it? It's a good idea but I don't know if it would also be controversial in itself.
France masked_platypus VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is : does the actual rating system efficient? I mean, there's some people who rates only with a one track listening, some others who like the movie and give a high note because of that (typically the case of Requiem for a dream, in which it's difficult to appreciate the score unless you have seen the movie), some others who like the composer too much to give it a bad note, even if the score is... well (And I must admit I have this kind of thoughts for any Morricone score), and so on and so on.

So, I don't think this system of decreasing the waiting time by the note will change the rating's comportment.
For me, it's a good idea. Do you consider adding a Poll to this forum, Cyberbrain?

Other question is : isn't it too hard to program?
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that masked_platypus has some valid points there. Ratings can be based on many different factors, so I do not think it would work. Also, we should remember that the albums are rated, not individual tracks, but we request tracks. An album may have a low rate but still have tracks that at least some listeners consider above average (and vice versa, of course).

Personally I do not like this idea much. It would lead to less variability in the stream especially during the peak hours, because it would make it easier to request the most popular albums. SST could become a soundtrack Top 40 station. Some people might like it, but not me. I like SST because I can explore a lots of different kinds of ST music. Get to know also less often played composers from all over the world and find hidden gems in music from lesser known and/or older films.
Poland Dragon-fly
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 18923

Dragon-fly is offline View user's profile Send private message Dragon-fly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't think it's the best idea...

I think that ratings are too 'unstable' (I wanted to write 'unfair', but it would be too big word for it) to base the whole requesting system on ratings only...

Maybe my taste (at least as it goes about music) is different than most of the SSTers but many of my favourite albums are rated in my opinion too low (no I don't like Buffy Razz ) and I think that many game soundtracks are underrated because they don't sound as 'orchestral' as most of the members would like them to sound...

Besides, I have to admit that I like the current '4/10 days no repeat' system.

Thank you for your attention Wink
USA Cyberbrain
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we could always come up with a secondary rating system for this purpose, but again probably too much work and effort for its limited value.
USA AK-Mal_Owner
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It runs the same risk as using the regular ratings... it's prone to abuse and vindictions. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't think it's broke.

-tg/akm
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a fan of this either. I know that at first it seems like the restrictions are huge, but I think if you branch out to request some other stuff you will expand 'your favorites' and give yourself more of a selection to work with when requesting.

Like most changes that have occurred on this site it takes time to adjust. This isn't even close to the issues caused when the same composer couldn't be in the queue or more than one track from the same score. People went nuts when that happened but after a while everyone became accustomed to it and now it is pretty much a non issue. I believe the same will happen with this issue, people won't like it but then they will warm to it and eventually this too will become a non issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: