StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

j2brown is going to Africa...and you can help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:08 am   Post subject: j2brown is going to Africa...and you can help Reply with quote

(Some of you may have seen my original post in the personal celebrations thread, but this one has more details.)

In May of this year my lovely bride and I will be traveling as part of a team to work in Africa for a week. Specifically we'll be working in the Kibera slum, in Nairobi, Kenya.

We'll be working directly with a church/school/shelter located in the slum. In addition to providing a church home to folks in the slum there is also a home(/shelter) for girls from situations that I won't describe in detail here, but just say that they're horrible. They also run a school for children living in the slum. The meal that the children get at school is often the only meal they get. Most of them would receive no formal education without the school.

Our team will be focusing on three areas during our trip:

- A member of our team is a pediatrician (who has also done extensive research about AIDS), so part of our team will be working with her providing medical care.

- Other members of our team will be working with the children at the school.

- The rest of the team will begin construction of a new facility outside the slum, which will provide safe housing and a new school building to the children.

As you can see there's a wide variety of needs, and everybody can probably find something they'd be willing to support. So, how can you help? The most direct way you can help is to support the team financially. Each team member must raise $2500 over the next few weeks. That means that my bride and I must raise $5000. This will not only cover the costs of our travel/room/board, but will also provide much needed supplies for the team to do our work.

If you would like further information, or would like to help please contact me directly, either via PM, IM, or email.

Thank you for your consideration.

jeff
sdg
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those who have contacted me for further information, and many thanks to the one member who has already sent in a donation (and wishes to remain nameless). I hope that I can make your donation make a difference in the lives of the children in Kibera.

Thanks also for being my first PayPal donor.

jeff
sdg
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

We've raised just over 10% of the $5000 we need. Thanks to those who have expressed interest. To those who have contact me but are unable to donate, we thank you for your interest and for taking the time to encourage me. It will take more than money to make a difference, and we appreciate any support we can get.

jeff
sdg
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still in need of a few thousand dollars. Please consider helping if you can.

Thanks!

jeff
sdg
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

For those following along at home, we're within $1200 or our goal. Many thanks to those who have supported us!

jeff
sdg
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that some folk here would enjoy seeing some of the pictures from our trip to Kenya last week. You can see our album here:

http://tinyurl.com/kenya510

(Please note: We didn't take any pictures of ourselves working, so these pictures may give the false impression that we were on vacation the whole time. Rest assured that we were actually working hard on behalf of those that supported us).

For those that supported us financially we're putting together a thank you letter/report that we'll be sending out in the next few days (with pictures of us actually working).

jeff
sdg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: