StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

BMS (Split From: How did you get your nickname?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Caray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 243

Caray is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Caray's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

*take extinguisher and use it on fire*

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The poor guy locked the thread.
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy is pathetic. Dude you don't need to start your own staion because you have a huge collection. if you want to hear cd's at work, burn them into your media player or something. Thats what I did. My employers don't care. They prefer it because no I don't always use bandwith.

BMS you will never have a loyal fan base. Because you don't have any humour, or any creativity. All you can do is steal what is already out, and present it as a new feature. Eventually your followers will see you are a nerd, and they will come here to donate. To see the funky threads and chat, to open the ears and minds to new music. Good luck, keeping listeners. Wink
korkster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 548

korkster is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website korkster's Favorites are Private
AIM Address MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

There really is nothing wrong with having another "Sound Track Radio Station". There were some before SST, and there will probably be more, including BMS.

The idea on anything like this, is if you think you can make things better, then do so. Then, wait and see if the public believes it IS better. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and if BMS likes what he sees with SST, and wants to make a better mousetrap, more power to him and good luck. Those that accuse him of being an imitator, need to understand that in any marketplace, thats how things DO get better, is that you take the best, and try to make it better in some way. No one really faults BMS for that aspect.

However, the way he went about it, was pure bush league. And some of the comments he's made both here and on his site, are extremely misleading, and as I said before, unethical. While it is accepted practice to compare yourself to the best in the industry, you dont walk into a Toyota dealership and start handing our Nissan product brochures, its just silly.

Personally, I could care less about BMS. I have heard enough from him, and his philosophy regarding his site, that I definitely dont agree with it, and so, I wont even go there. Thats the plain and simple truth.

Kork
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Korkster allow me to explain. you refer to imitation as a great form of flattery. I agree. BUT its not making a better "mousetrap" as you say. You see, people generally like to follow a leader. Someone who has the creativity, the skill, and the drive to pave the way. BMS is a simple follower, who is trying to pretend that he is actually paving a new way, when in reality he is pretty much on the shoulder of the road Jeric and CO. created.

I understand that he thinks he is working on improving jerics ideas, but soon his folk will see (unless they are blind) that SST is the place to be. They will cut out the petty imitator and go for the real deal. I am not against competition, I am just against people who can't be a little more creative.

He said he serves a niche. But he is more or less trying to be a baby version of SST. I propose that we should possibly someday, get a sister station of sst, and really wipe out BMS.
graywolf
Commander
Commander

Member#: 2693

graywolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website graywolf's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I read his thread, he seemed to be having a conversation with himself for a while, posting under two different names.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it.

Mr.BMS locks the thread, so SlowMo creates a second one.

Then Mr. BMS has his say on that one and locks it too.

Here's the link for the second thread:
SST Thread on BMS.com Part Deux

And someone also sent me this thread:

BMS Webmaster's Personal Page

Anyways, to agree with something Kork said earlier...

BMS didn't like how things were run here, so he created his own station. More power to him. That's what yours truly would have told him to do had he logged on here whining that we change everything.

It's also fine that he's openly snagging our ideas.

What ticks me off personally though, is how he went about doing it. As if SST were some faceless corporation and with no regard, courtesy or respect for Jeric in any way shape or form. He's since apologized in his own forum, although its very obvious he still feels he did nothing wrong.

If any of you are bored you should check out the two SST threads on his forum. Someone from SST makes a point, he makes a counterpoint, then locks the forum before we can reply.

He's done this twice, along with now accusing us of misrepresnting his arguments (which he's been doing to us himself).

Fortunately it seems his partner in crime, "Shadow" has a much better head on his shoulders. Too bad BMS isn't owned by him. We might be friends. Smile

Damn, why is it so easy to write so much about this?
Caray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 243

Caray is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Caray's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
I love it.
Damn, why is it so easy to write so much about this?

Probably because he gives you so much material to use Very Happy

I agree with Korkster, the fact that BMS copied the idea is not a crime, but I also agree with Cocles on one point, BMS should have contacted Jeric first. And unless I have hallucinations on his second post he admitted that he came on board just to promote his site.

I loved the part where he whines about SST 'foreign' music and explains that he means not Hollywood music.
Excuse me, I think I need to lock myself in a sound-proof room and howl with laughter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am absolutely not convinced that BMS is a legal site. Before I mentioned to him that he better arrange his playlist in a standard way (composer - movie - track) his playlist looked like stuff he just downloaded from a peer to peer application. When you rip your CDs like Jeric, Cocles and I do, all you tracks on the playlist will have the same format. Your rip tool will connect to the Internet to get the album info, this will save you time to type all those tracks name manually.

That is why I didnt understand his 'Gladiator - Main theme' for example. Now he has a couple of 'Gladiator - Hans Zimmer' tracks. Hello?!!! ever heard of Lisa Gerrard?!!!! He is just a newbie who doesnt have a clue about soundtracks.

Problem is someone donated 128k bandwith to him. A lot of new Shoutcast listeners will go to his site instead of SST. But they will probably get bored of it soon.

And like they always say: 'The bigger they are, the harder they fall...' (I do not mean SST of course with it's big and stable community)
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with Cal on this one. The guy obviously got some of his tracks online.

The question really is whether he also owns the CD's.
korkster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

korkster is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website korkster's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say if his tracks arent owned, then he's got more problems that us beating him in the ground Smile

Wouldnt Shoutcast have something to say about that? Or are they not at all legally liable in some way? If I was the "broadcaster" in that chain, I think I'd want to make sure that everything was legit, before I started broadcasting the streams.

Perhaps not.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SHOUTcast is just a directory, not really a service. I can see how that will be no concern to them since they're not at risk. If they get ontrack with Live365 and AudioRealm and start paying webcasters fees and offering subscriptions then I can see them monitoring that. It looks like they're cleaned up their ID3 tags. They would have to in order for SAM to function efficiently. I don't want to point fingers and discuss legal issues on this public forum either.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
korkster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that clarification, JERIC. I absolutely agree that legality of things shouldnt be discussed. Its all a grey area right now anyway..and can change on a dime.

Heads down, and enjoy the music Smile
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

*RH scratches his head after following this thread and surfing BMS's site* Yikes, it seems he likes to dig himself into his own hole...deeper and deeper! This community outrules his by a long shot! JERIC and the admins, you all are amazing!
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal and I are actually banned from his site, and quite proud of that too. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: